Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puerto Rico has so much to offer. San Juan, a vibrant city full of bars, restaurants, beaches, history, culture, and great people, has the perfect amount of fun and/or relaxation to suit all.

Step outside (please) and discover white, black, and pink sand beaches, bioluminescent bays, great food, even better coffee, and beautiful rainforests & waterfalls (not just in El Yunque btw — hint hint for the more adventurous who want to search).

And I haven’t even mentioned the diving. You can stay on the mainland, which you have decent local dives in San Juan (a conveniently close, calm spot for beginners — and really nice for night dives — at Escambrón). In the west, Rincón and Aguadilla offer relaxing shore dives (with a particularly colorful spot, locally called El Natural, which has a gradual slope down to 40m+. It’s also near Peña Blanca, which may be my favorite beach in the whole world (ask locals nearby.. you’re pretty much guaranteed to get lost on the way there but it’ll be fun). The Isabela “caves” are nice swim throughs. In the SW, Cabo Rojo is arguably the most beautiful part of the island. Then you have a deep wall down South in Guanica where you can see larger life. Apparently it’s amazing at night, but sadly I still haven’t gotten the opportunity. Fajardo and the nearby chain of little islands off the east coast (eg Icacos) are great to hop on / hop off a private boat charter.

On the other islands, Vieques and Culebra have lots of life, very nice dives as well, a mix of life of all sizes. The natural bioluminescence in some spots creates an amazing experience if diving in the dark is your thing. Also, Playa Flamenco needs no introduction. Desecheo and Mona (West) are purely wild and incredible if you’re able to go (plan in advance, permits may be required).

Go and have fun. It’s an island made for exactly that.

A75898D4-A888-45C5-BEC0-D91BE0462900.jpeg

Shore dive from Mona Island

Based on this thread and my desire to try a different dive destination, I did some research yesterday but still have a few questions for those in the know. I called six dive shops on the south and west of Puerto Rico yesterday (based on posts here saying that is the area to concentrate on for diving) and only three answered. The other three were disconnected or out of business? The two or three I talked to were somewhat helpful but I still need to find out more info.Flights to San Juan from Ohare, in late April to early May are extremely reasonable, and non stop. Is this a good weather time for diving in the southwest corner? I think, and again I am in the very beginning of researching this trip, that I want to dive out of La Parguera because that area has nice wall diving. What area would be best to start looking into lodging? Looking for a nice, not extravagant place on or near the water. A nice pool is a must as is an area with accessible food and dining. One dive shop I am interested in is Island Scuba and they suggested an Airbnb in Ponce, not sure if that is feasible. Basically we are looking to do two dives a day, near a dive shop with good diving, good dining and a nice pool. Thinking five days diving and then staying two days in San Juan to check out the city. Any help would be appreciated.

Based on this thread and my desire to try a different dive destination, I did some research yesterday but still have a few questions for those in the know. I called six dive shops on the south and west of Puerto Rico yesterday (based on posts here saying that is the area to concentrate on for diving) and only three answered. The other three were disconnected or out of business? The two or three I talked to were somewhat helpful but I still need to find out more info.Flights to San Juan from Ohare, in late April to early May are extremely reasonable, and non stop. Is this a good weather time for diving in the southwest corner? I think, and again I am in the very beginning of researching this trip, that I want to dive out of La Parguera because that area has nice wall diving. What area would be best to start looking into lodging? Looking for a nice, not extravagant place on or near the water. A nice pool is a must as is an area with accessible food and dining. One dive shop I am interested in is Island Scuba and they suggested an Airbnb in Ponce, not sure if that is feasible. Basically we are looking to do two dives a day, near a dive shop with good diving, good dining and a nice pool. Thinking five days diving and then staying two days in San Juan to check out the city. Any help would be appreciated.
Ponce to La Parguera is a bit of a drive every morning. UPR has a marine facility there, I would think that lodging would be easy to find.

When we dove with Island Scuba, we stayed in a little rental in Playa Santa, however, candidly, wouldn't recommend it again.

You might look up toward Guanica, which is the largest "town" close to Playa Santa.

As to weather, we were there in June 2015. The wall that Island Scuba dives is a pretty good way offshore, well worth the effort in terms of reef life and structure, but can be a bumpy boat ride and a rolling recovery after the dive.

Weather is in the 80’s year round.
There are few small hotels in the area of Parguera. There are also B&B around the area. Ask the shops for suggestions. If you want Holiday Inn or that sort of hotel you will be 1 hour away either in Ponce or Mayagüez towns

Thanks for all of the above posts. Doing a little more research and I can’t really find what I’m looking for in terms of lodging in the La Parguera or Guanica area. I have switched gears to the Rincon area temporarily and am wondering how the diving compares between the two. Sorry if this has been discussed previously, looking for a fresh Rincon /La Parguera diving comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom