Best Deco Planners for Android?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been mentioned many times on the Subsurface support mail list. Here is a link from October that includes Robert Helling (one of the more prolific contributors to Subsurface) asking to not use the abbreviation.

And here is a more direct reference from Dirk Hohndel (the primary maintainer).

It was not my intention to point fingers, but rather to let people know that there is a sensitivity there (with good reason.)

It's 2021.... I am 100% confident that not a single person on SB associates the abbreviation SS with the actual "SS" (I read disbanded in 1945?).

@dirkhh I don't believe has ever asked for any such thing here on SB, and I would hope that he would understand that not a soul on this board associates Subsurface with the Nazi Schutzstaffel. "SS" is used out of pure laziness because there's nothing easier to write.

SB
Gf's
SS
Coz
Bp/w

All these and more are abbreviations for lazy people (such as myself). That being said I 100% respect @dirkhh work, if you want to comment on what we call it (and knows full well that we mean zero disrespect with our current abbreviation), I'm all for whatever he wants.

I honestly love Subsurface.... but I hate typing.

How do you add a second dive to the Subsurface planner? I didn't think it supported a second dive.

As Rob noted, you just set the dive date/time (in the Planner) to when you want to start it. It will automatically take into account the inert gas tissue loading from any prior dive (based on date/time) that is in the log - whether it's a "planned" dive or an actual dive that you downloaded.

This means, for example, you could do an actual dive, download it into Subsurface, and then (in the desktop version only) plan your next dive and it would include the tissue loading from your first dive automatically.

It's 2021.... I am 100% confident that not a single person on SB associates the abbreviation SS with the actual "SS" (I read disbanded in 1945?).

@dirkhh I don't believe has ever asked for any such thing here on SB, and I would hope that he would understand that not a soul on this board associates Subsurface with the Nazi Schutzstaffel. "SS" is used out of pure laziness because there's nothing easier to write.

SB
Gf's
SS
Coz
Bp/w

All these and more are abbreviations for lazy people (such as myself). That being said I 100% respect @dirkhh work, if you want to comment on what we call it (and knows full well that we mean zero disrespect with our current abbreviation), I'm all for whatever he wants.

I honestly love Subsurface.... but I hate typing.

Dirk has personally asked me in the past to also refrain from using the SS abbreviation. Dirk and all the other devs for Subsurface do a GREAT job and consistently release a GREAT product. For FREE. Including free cloud storage and syncing.

Typing the extra letters for Subsurface, instead of SS, seems like the VERY LEAST I can do in thanks and recognition of what they do for us all.

If someone is that picky and sensitive about the abbreviation his product is referred to as, then he really needs to go public about what he wants people to use rather than complaining about what people refer to it as. I’m with @Manatee Diver on that.

Just another reason to not use that product, IMO.

Just another reason to not use that product, IMO.

"They offered me a best-of-breed product to use, and totally for free, on any platform I want, but they asked me not to refer to it as SS, and without giving me an alternative other than the full name of Subsurface."

I mean, that is clearly a very good reason all by itself to not use it, but just out of curiosity, what is the other reason (or reasons) you identified for not using it?

Interface sucks. Totally non-user friendly. I mostly use MacDive (or Shearwater).

Well I love subs, which I guess I'm calling it from now on. I have the utmost respect for the whole development team. I've never found the user interface especially hard, and I don't fancy myself the smartest guy on here by a long shot.

I'm ok not calling it SS, I just hadn't heard that before, and I know that I've had dm's with Mr. Dirk where I referred to Subsurface as "SS" and nothing was said.

"They offered me a best-of-breed product to use, and totally for free, on any platform I want, but they asked me not to refer to it as SS, and without giving me an alternative other than the full name of Subsurface."
I agree with this 100%, my point was just that I don't think anyone meant any disrespect by the SS abbreviation.

LOL. I'll make Dirk a deal. When he starts supporting the Crest/Excursion, I'll stop calling his product SS. Jeez.

I'm confused. Aren't most androids mechanical devices, some with thin coverings of living skin to fool John Conner, but still mechanical? Why would they need to decompress?

I'm confused. Aren't most androids mechanical devices, some with thin coverings of living skin to fool John Conner, but still mechanical? Why would they need to decompress?

Modern android are very accurate, you would hardly know that they are here until they start dropping nukes on us.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom