Dacor R-4 parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,

I have three of the dacors, 2 R4's and a C3N..........the biggest problem I found with these regarding the lousy breathing was the 2nd stage. It is terrible! Blows air in many directions besides down the hose. The two attachment screw holes are linked with the so called venturi and air excapes up against the diaphgram. And the venturi is huge and misaligned to the intake horn. Some of the air hits the can wall.

Here are the things I did that helped improve the breathing. The two screw holes that hold the second stage to the can need to be tapped with a fine thread and two plugs inserted after the mounting screws are set. Use some wet suit glue to hold them in place.

The main opening is very wide and the uppper part blows against the can as I said above, you can soldier a piece of brass there to plug this big gapping hole and redrill with a 1/8 bit for a venturi style vent.......becareful not to damage the seat on the inside...and align the starting point for the drill bit thru the intake horn for more precise centering of the new venturi.....these two things will limit the air to just the venturi you create and the two vents on the back side of the 2nd stage..increases back pressure.....helps push more of the air down the hose...similar to the USD set up......

The second exhaust diaphgram on mine, I just tossed.....they were not useable......I just put in a duckvalve like the USD's use, You can use a long one from Dan at VSD as the horns are longer than the USD's........and put a little of the wetsuit glue around the rivet on the primary diaphgram, (both sides), to seal that possible leak off.........not to original spec's but it works. I put a long yoke on it and was able to use my banjo.

Anyway......hope this helps if you decide to make your units servicable......

Oldmossback

Last edited:
I was able to find a guy locally that had a NOS parts stash. He rebuilt the bad one and tuned up the working reg. Both are working and the cost was minimal. I was so happy I ended up buying a set of yellow Aqua-Lung (PST) 72's in mint shape with bands, straps, and J-valve single outlet manifold from him. The tanks have never been re-hydro'd or even had a vis sticker on since '67. Over the winter I'll get the tank current and dive the rig next spring. Can't wait! I may be getting addicted to this vintage stuff.

Hey Matt, Good to hear you got those R-4's up and running. I rebuild and use vintage stuff, mostly US Divers, but I do own a Dacor C3. Perhaps we could get together for some vintage diving sometime as I live North of Milwaukee a little( Port Washington area).

Jim

Hey Matt, Good to hear you got those R-4's up and running. I rebuild and use vintage stuff, mostly US Divers, but I do own a Dacor C3. Perhaps we could get together for some vintage diving sometime as I live North of Milwaukee a little( Port Washington area).

Jim

I'm in Brookfield. Let me know.

Thanks for the tip on the other forums. I don't really care about the performance of the regs. I payed little enough for them that I thought they may be fun to mess around with once in a while, or at least look nice in a display. If I can't find the diaphragm reasonably priced, I can always sell them to someone for parts ans still come out ahead..
if things dont work out, im interesred in the regs, good luck , a few peeps are making some home type replacment parts now. ck out : Buy, Sell, Trade (Vintage Gear Only, Please) | Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum

if you poke around in the general discussion forum youll find info on dacor R parts

Back
Top Bottom