Lessons Wreck Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before the introduction of the Zebra mussels from eastern Europe, the hemp and fabric sails still were rigged as they were ready to go. Now what you do find, turns to mush in your hands. Lake Surperior still has fabric rigging though. I do not know the condition, but fragile might be an understatement.
The deeper ones have intact fabric and paper.
You'll destroy it with a finger or a fin kick though and ruin the dive forever.

Come to think of it, a lot of commercial divers are missing digits from putting them between angry pipe flanges and lift slings.

Must make counting hard. I can only count to 15 now... well 16 if I am at home.

Come to think of it, a lot of commercial divers are missing digits from putting them between angry pipe flanges and lift slings.
I have been lucky, dislocated fingers a few cuts and hit with a numb ray Underwater Sydney - Numb Ray and bumped by a bull shark in zip vis [hint to bugger off I expect], the safety diver and the MCD Officer in the dive tender saw the shark, I was hit hard.
Not so a mate with a stingray barb in his leg, swimming the blocks in a dry dock in Sydney [looking for items just before a ship settles on the blocks as the water drains] , little to no vis and a upset stingray stuck him in the upper leg deep, now that is pain.
Such fun, no vis work dives.
The saying was " you have 10 EXTRA eyes using your fingers", still have all my fingers , some that will never be the same and I have not gone mad....
Denial is good.
Edit: I was bumped by the shark near the surface and still did not see it, Sorry for going off topic.

I am perplexed after reading wreck diver training outlines and talking to a couple of instructors. IMHO, treatment of silt-outs is incomplete and backwards. I am a firm believer that divers need to spend a fair amount of time in zero visibility before they penetrate a wreck or even start a wreck diving class.

When is it enough?
You will know. Air consumption will be at or near normal, you won't flinch every time something touches you, and you can start to "see" with your hands. Then you are ready to start your wreck class.
Back on topic: This ^^^ "see" with your hands. :happywave:

This would be a good skill when wet rocks diving also.
Knowing which way these point Line Arrow - Dive Rite by feel could be a handy skill.

I can't remember where I first heard the phrase but I have always liked "diving by braille".

We called it "Braille Diving" in NY when diving in NY Long Island Sound. I have done wreck penetration diving in LI sound while zero visibility where you can't see your light at an arm's lengths and can't even tell if you are inside the wreck. Diving in the open ocean in NY/NJ and new England where like diving in the tropics compared to LI sound diving.

It is such an appropriate and descriptive phrase that it must be a case of concurrent and recurrent rediscovery. I wonder if the phrase is used in non-English native languages?
Just remember, if it moves, let it go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom