Full Suit Skin vs Shorty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't trust a 1mm to hold up. I use a Henderson 3mm long sleeve front zip shorty (it may be the same one as @drrich2) - Henderson Thermoprene Jacket.

I like it. Easy on and off and I've got a relatively short legs for my torso, so a fullsuit that fits up top always has extra material in the legs. Depending on conditions, I'll wear it by itself or over these $10 MMA leggings or these $30 1.5mm pants.

I really like the mobility that a Shorty gives me in the arms and legs. I may go try on one of the 3/2 suits. I hear the argument that a thin suit may not be enough. But a 3mm seems like overkill for me at least. It almost sounds like a 2mm full suit would be perfect but I'm not seeing a lot of options there...

I'm looking at a couple web sites that carry full suits that appear to target open water swimmers. That almost sounds like the right track. They're going to be designed for mobility and thermal protection...

How about rent in destination? Suit is this thickness, exact fit isn’t too important. 3/2 takes quite a bit is space in luggage. And on your return flight, they may still be wet (heavy)

I'm looking at a couple web sites that carry full suits that appear to target open water swimmers. That almost sounds like the right track. They're going to be designed for mobility and thermal protection...
It's been a long time since my last triathlon, but from what I remember my open water wetsuits had an exterior liner that was supposed to cut drag but would get quickly destroyed by a BC harness.

I really like the mobility that a Shorty gives me in the arms and legs. I may go try on one of the 3/2 suits. I hear the argument that a thin suit may not be enough. But a 3mm seems like overkill for me at least. It almost sounds like a 2mm full suit would be perfect but I'm not seeing a lot of options there...
Surfing suits are readily available and not super expensive.

It's been a long time since my last triathlon, but from what I remember my open water wetsuits had an exterior liner that was supposed to cut drag but would get quickly destroyed by a BC harness.
Good to know!

At this point, I'm actually thinking about taking Marie's advice and getting the separate top and bottom in something like the full length Lavacore, and also getting the shorty. Two suits but they should fold up well enough for travel. That way I can enjoy the shorty but if diving on a wreck or if jellyfish are anticipated for a particular dive site or if doing a night dive, I have the option of throwing on the full length setup. As far as the suit not drying out before traveling, I bet if you asked the hotel staff, they would probably have a small fan you could borrow to expedite that after your last dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom