Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there an official announcement that the US paper card will be accepted?

NVM looks like they changed the rules... again.

I would never consider going there again. They burned that bridge a while ago.

Is there an official announcement that the US paper card will be accepted?

Not that I've seen, just the write up from Grand Cayman Villas that was posted on TA.

The Cayman reopening website still lists "securely verifiable" Covid vaccination as part of their phase 4 plan; I didn't see anything about the CDC vaccine card.

But in other news, the CDC and the US State Department have now moved Cayman to a Level 4 Travel Advisory and they are telling travelers not to go there because of the recent surge in covid cases on GC:

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, Cayman Islands Government posted an update to their reopening website. The update was minor, and a link to a .pdf document which was a list of instructions on how vaccinated travelers may apply to Travel Cayman. You can read a summary of it on our border reopening page here:

https://www.divetech.com/border

Tony

Confusing and more confusinger. US in or out? Paper cards- good or not?

Herein lies the problem. This is a direct quote from the Cayman Compass:
Panton said vaccinated travellers from countries where at least 60% of the population had received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine would not be required to quarantine upon arrival in Cayman. Also, passengers from countries with less than a 60% inoculation rate but who can provide electronically verifiable documentation that they had been vaccinated can also forego quarantine.

Many other websites have posted something similar. You could imply this to mean that non securely verified vaccines would be accepted if the country of origin has a vaccination rate above 60%. And many have reported exactly this, including us. This was how it was represented. But obviously there's lots of room for interpretation in this statement.

So no one knows is my answer to this. All we can do is stay tuned until they gazette an amendment to the COVID control act.

Tony

They’re not helping their own cause. I can’t imagine anyone booking a flight given the uncertainty of the situation.

Though it was my most frequently visited and dived tropical destination, I’m in no rush to get back to Cayman given the uncertainty and lack of clarity around their re-opening plans.

Just got back from 10 days in Aruba (after a 10 day trip there in July) - perfect weather, great diving/snorkeling, beautiful beaches and excellent restaurants… and hassle-free entry and exit!

Although the underwater landscapes are not as dramatic as Cayman (no walls, crevices etc.,), I have to say that the coral reefs are FAR healthier and the quantity and diversity of marine life (except sharks) is FAR greater as well.

We have a rescheduled 2020 club trip to Sunset House on Grand Cayman in April - hopefully, they’ll have things sorted out by then! In the meantime, we’re heading back to Aruba in January!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom