New to Caves: Add to gear or buy new set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For regulators, I use old SP regs; MK5, MK10, MK15 (stay away from buying MK15s due to lack of parts availability) and any of the older balanced 2nd stages are great.
"Turreted" first stages are best as the hose can fold in and out, so is easier to stash.

Non-turreted first stages means the regulator hose must bend upwards, thus shortening the hose and affecting the routing. Also, Miflex hoses can kink, cutting off the gas flow.

I may end up doing this, two sets. Perhaps I’ll get two xDeep harnesses that I could switch onto the same wing when I move between SM and BM.

Hmm, if I buy a second transmitter, then I guess I wouldn’t need the console during single BM fundives either, that’d be nice.

The XDeep sidemount wings only works on the harness it comes with.

You just need a separate rigs. But the backmount rig doesn't need to be elaborate. Something like this can be had for about $400 with a set of weight pouches. You already have the regs for BM.

I was transmitters from the get go when I started sidemount, I would just switched one of my transmitters between my sidemount reg and my backmount reg. It only takes a couple of minutes. Though I did keep a SPG on my backmount reg.

I may end up doing this, two sets. Perhaps I’ll get two xDeep harnesses that I could switch onto the same wing when I move between SM and BM.

You might not. The Sidemount harness and wing are incompatible with Backmount. The cost of Backmount is a twinset/doubles, plus V-weights and backplate, one-piece harness and wing.

You could use the regulators from Sidemount, but you'll need a longer hose for the SPG (and blank-off the RHS/longhose side).

The reality is you'll end up with two sets of kit.

If money's an issue, stop thinking about transmitters; they're an expensive indulgence.

If money's an issue, stop thinking about transmitters; they're an expensive indulgence.

He already has one, getting a second one isn't much more than two decent SPGs, particularly if he buys it used.

The XDeep sidemount wings only works on the harness it comes with.

You just need a separate rigs. But the backmount rig doesn't need to be elaborate. Something like this can be had for about $400 with a set of weight pouches. You already have the regs for BM.

I was transmitters from the get go when I started sidemount, I would just switched one of my transmitters between my sidemount reg and my backmount reg. It only takes a couple of minutes. Though I did keep a SPG on my backmount reg.
Actually the X deep wings will work on more than just the harness they come with. I've built several harnesses using X Deep wings as the base. Both the Classic and Tec wings. Piranha Dive Mfg has all the hardware necessary to construct a harness from the ground up. As does Sump UK. Randy at Piranha is easier though if you live in the US. Sidemount Harness Plates! Complete set of upper & lower plates! , Piranha Dive Shop |
That said, building a harness is not advised for someone with no experience in sidemount. Even those with sidemount experience may find it challenging. Including a number of "sidemount instructors" who only have experience with one rig.
You do need a dedicated set of regs. Turrets are pretty much a must for clean hose routing. Ones that will swivel 360 degrees with hoses on them. I use HOG D3's and have been since 2013. D1's before that but they didn't swivel 360 and were not optimal.
You'll also need either cam bands or 8 inch ss hose clamps with large bolt snaps, paracord, and depending on the style you go with, leashes for the top that stay on or removable ones if diving like they do in Mexico where top leashes are not left on the neck of the cylinder and clipped off.
Hose lengths would be a 7ft for the right cylinder and 26-32 for the left. The left depends on how big you are and where they cylinder is hanging. I'm 5'7" and about 165lbs. I use a 28 inch hose with a 110 degree elbow because I do a lot of sidemount in a drysuit and need that length for full range of motion.
I also don't use transmitters, 1.5 or 2 inch spgs on 6 inch hoses when diving them lollipopped or 9 inch when diving them with the spgs running down along the cylinders. The latter not very often because I have my rig configured so that the lollipopped spgs don't droop and don't pose a drag or snag issue in wrecks.
And carrying a DSLR camera rig means I can just glance down and see what my pressure is.
Not using AI is not so much as not trusting them as it's two more batteries to worry about and another 6-800 bucks for transmitters that could be spent better elsewhere.
You'll also need to be prepared to have whatever set up you buy completely reconfigured by a competent instructor. With no SM experience, you'll likely have a couple things just plain set up wrong. A good instructor will work with you and basically build the rig around you.
The X deep is a nice set up because it allows this. Some other rigs out there need extensive modifications to be useable and some should just be thrown in the trash.

He already has one, getting a second one isn't much more than two decent SPGs, particularly if he buys it used.
2 good 1.5 inch SPGs with hoses would be less than $150. I've not seen a transmitter for less than $300 that is one I might trust - refurbished. I'd be leery of a used transmitter from an unknown seller on ebay.

"Turreted" first stages are best as the hose can fold in and out, so is easier to stash.

Non-turreted first stages means the regulator hose must bend upwards, thus shortening the hose and affecting the routing. Also, Miflex hoses can kink, cutting off the gas flow.
Yes, I know what turreted first stages are, and why they are better for SM. What I'm not sure of is what you were replying to in my post?

If your cave diving in Florida you will need a drysuit. It is used for not only thermal protection but a redundant buoyancy device while using heavy large volume steel cylinders. If diving wet you will need a dual bladder air cell.

I’m looking solely at the turreted feature. While I knew what these were, others may not, so I appreciate the explanation.

I’ll plan on getting the extra transmitter later on, as I just don’t like the idea of lollipops for some reason.

The reality is you'll end up with two sets of kit.
I’ve been slowly getting to this realization.

So my conclusion: I will rent gear until I have enough SM dives and Cavern dives to really know what I want. While I have a good sense already, I appreciate that this could change.

I’ll buy two of the same regulators, both turreted and with 5 ports, and try to sell my existing one to offset some costs. I’m going with the xDeep Stealth and will most likely just keep my existing Zeagle Stiletto which I love.

I’m extremely impressed and grateful for the community here which is so helpful. Thank you all who have responded and hope we keep the discussion(s) going.

So my conclusion: I will rent gear until I have enough SM dives and Cavern dives to really know what I want. While I have a good sense already, I appreciate that this could change.

I’ll buy two of the same regulators, both turreted and with 5 ports, and try to sell my existing one to offset some costs. I’m going with the xDeep Stealth and will most likely just keep my existing Zeagle Stiletto which I love.

I’m extremely impressed and grateful for the community here which is so helpful. Thank you all who have responded and hope we keep the discussion(s) going.

In the beginning, before you’ve become a fully-fledged scuba addict, it seems expensive. The problem with addiction is you’ll end up robbing your granny to buy that shiny DPV…

To keep your costs in check, you could cut down the regulators to: two turreted first stages, two second stages, two SPGs. Then a set of hoses using the longhose system; one short on a necklace, one long 2.1m/7ft hose and two 23cm/9" HP hoses and one longer HP hose.

Then you can cover all bases: a single backmount, a backmount twinset, sidemount.

Then get a backplate for backmount (will work for single and twinset). You’ll need a sidemount harness. Also you’ll need two wings, one for a single, one for a twinset.

And some lead weights.

Aside from drysuit, computers, etc., etc.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom