Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4c1dburn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

keen to get your all's thoughts on Sri Lanka diving on the Southwest coast in December/January.

Have read the few threads on here and did some googling, but reviews seem really mixed.

I like wrecks, but my wife is not a massive fan of wrecks for the sake of wrecks, but she doesn't mind them if there is a ton of fish life on them.
We both love pelagics, so that's always a winner.
Limited to Rec depth at the moment.
We are both fairly spoiled divers...have been lucky to experience some very special locations/dives.

How would you describe the underwater world there? What is it comparable to? Would you recommend, or opt for a different destination?

Thank you!

My thoughts are that I want to hear all about your trip and the food. My wife and I are looking at Cambodia or Sri Lanka next year and I'm leaning towards SL if only for the food.

I wish I could be of more help than just jealousy.

Not much experience with the south west, since our first visit was in the summer and we dived from Trincomale (east). Diving was ok, but nothing special.
In March 2020 I did 2 dives with ypsilon dive center from Beruwala. Again diving was ok - good viz, lots of fish and I found an ornate ghost pipe fish (dive guide never saw it before). But again: nothing special.

However I would like to comment on the food: we did not find the food in Sri Lanka good at all. Not as bad as local Maldivian or Malaysian kitchen, but certainly nowhere near ie Thailand, Nepal or India.

Not as bad as local Maldivian or Malaysian kitchen, but certainly nowhere near ie Thailand, Nepal or India.
My foodie side doesn't agree with you, meanwhile their curries are probably some of the fiercest in the world, I have tasted absolutely memorable fish curry soups. They use some of the best and tastiest spices in the Indian ocean.
While i was on an other (business) trip, I probably ate one of the best breakfast ever at the Cinnamon Grand in Colombo : all sorts of local puffs, pea crepes and dals. I would come back just for the breakfast.

On the other hand, funny you mention Nepal, it's the only place in asia where I got serioulsy sick from their dishes. I hated their food.
Talking about asian food, I rate Vietnam much higher than Thailand or India. Philippines gets the worse rate (sorry), Indonesia not very far from the bottom list.

My foodie side doesn't agree with you, meanwhile their curries are probably some of the fiercest in the world, I have tasted absolutely memorable fish curry soups. They use some of the best and tastiest spices in the Indian ocean.
While i was on an other (business) trip, I probably ate one of the best breakfast ever at the Cinnamon Grand in Colombo : all sorts of local puffs, pea crepes and dals. I would come back just for the breakfast.

On the other hand, funny you mention Nepal, it's the only place in asia where I got serioulsy sick from their dishes. I hated their food.
Talking about asian food, I rate Vietnam much higher than Thailand or India. Philippines gets the worse rate (sorry), Indonesia not very far from the bottom list.

at least we agree on Philippines:) - and Indo … Had one of our best meals after we walked up to Sarangkot - tiny kitchen and cleanliness left at lot to desire, but as my husband said: “this is so damn good I’ll take my chances”.
I had great food, when I stayed at a vegan hotel in Sri Lanka, but rest was close to awful.

However I would like to comment on the food: we did not find the food in Sri Lanka good at all. Not as bad as local Maldivian or Malaysian kitchen, but certainly nowhere near ie Thailand, Nepal or India.
The Maldivian chef on our liveaboard produced really great local food. (Unfortunately he had also gone to Europe for training and thought he made great Italian food, which was actually awful.)

Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam have been mentioned on FOOD.
We all have different taste.
I have been to all those places and Nepal is the worst in culinary delight. Philippines can offer pretty good food unfortunately it is not widely available.

Bit late but chiming in just in case. Diving in the southwest, and all around Sri Lanka is decent but not spectacular. You will not have the colour and marine life of Indo or Phils, or the pelagic action of the Maldives.

If there is something unique then its wreck diving and for this Colombo has the best selection, especially during the winter season. The wrecks have plenty of marine life so its nice for everyone. The Colombo wrecks have loads of fish including big schools. A few GT's, eagle rays, napoleans etc. But if you are looking for serious pelagic action then SL is not the place.

South coast has mostly rock outcrops and rocky reefs with a few small wrecks.

If you are combining land travel with some diving SL is a great choice. If its purely diving unless you are into wreck diving it might not be a good option.

Will leave the non Sri Lankans to discuss the food :)

Reactions: Dan
I'm going to SL in July, and I need recommendation for dive operaters in Mirissa and Unawatuna.
Does anyone has some experience and or some recommendations.

I saw that there are some wrecks there which is awesome for me.
I won't be going up to Colombo sadly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom