Hello from Carriacou!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grenada we hear of occasionally; it's my understanding it's a beautiful, scenic island with good wreck diving (I've never been).

What does the 'dive scene' look like in Carriacou? Where do most tourist divers come from, I wonder? Is English widely spoken, or do tourists need another language? Any other tips you might offer a dive tourist considering Carriacou?
Grenada has very nice wreck diving, Carriacou has the reefs... If you can take the time, it's really worth coming for a two-island visit. English is the main language. Grenada is a lot more touristy than Carriacou, but even there, when you stay away from the resorts and go exploring, you will find lovely unspoiled scenery. Carriacou is very much off the beaten track. It's very friendly and very safe, very much off the beaten track. Historically most of our visitors come from the UK, US & Canada. Also from Germany and the Scandinavian countries during the winter months.
In terms of coming to visit, March & April and October & November are my favourite months on the island, because of the nice breezes, generally calm water & good visibility. Depending on how much time you have, I would recommend staying at a villa, rather than at a hotel - they are not expensive and most of them are close to the beach. Rent a car or scooter for a few days to go and explore. Carriacou is a relaxing, peaceful place. We absolutely love it here.

Welcome!
I have fond memories of visiting Carriacou while on our honeymoon in Grenada in 1996. We took the ferry from St George's and walked into Hillsborough to explore from there.
At that time the road from the ferry cut across the airport runway. Such a weird feeling to be a pedestrian crossing a runway and walking across the entire airport property... That just spoke to how laid back Carriacou was! I am assuming that route is no longer possible.
That was a few years before I started diving though. We have been back to Grenada since, but have not made it back to Carriacou. Such a lovely island!

Welcome! I hope you'll post more telling us about Carriacou. It's one of those destinations I see very few trip reports about, and lot a lot of detail (not unlike Martinique and Montserrat).
Thank you for your kind welcome! Carriacou is a lovely little island that has very much become home for me over the last 10 years. It has some very nice reefs and is a great place to spend a few days (or longer!).
I have written a brief article about the island, which I hope will be useful.

Carriacou - Falling in Love With The Isle of Reefs

Back
Top Bottom