Weirdest Thing You Ever Took Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago, my buddy and I were doing some work at a local dive site and needed to move a pretty substantial piece of metal.

I rigged a pretty big trash can for lift and tied it off with parachute cord. When we were done, the trash can was so buoyant, we couldn't tip it to deflate it. I ended up cutting the rigging and it rocketed to the surface, striking rock before it surfaced. It was the loudest BOOM I've ever heard underwater. There's video, but it doesn't do the experience justice.

That boom was super disconcerting to me, as I knew I was just below it.

P8250142.jpg

We used these for a few years as models for an underwater photography workshop. It's actually the plaster cast of a sculpture done by my dad many years ago...

PS Hey, @Trace Malinowski, great to hear from you again!

Thanks, Mike. The head is great.

Ping pong paddle for fanning for fossils. Various wrenches/tools for doing at sea repairs.
I learned about that ping pong paddle technique reading "The Deep" by Peter Benchley as a teen. I have used the paddle and tools myself. I'm trying to think of the weirdest tool I ever used. I did some inland commercial diving and they would sometimes give us some strange specialty tools for specific products.

Thanks, Mike. The head is great.
My girlfriend used to mistakenly call me Mike when she got all worked-up. :wink:

The weirdest thing…I ever seed what been dragged on down? A chandelier which still hangs off the forward davit of CCV’s Front Yard Prince Albert Wreck.

Attachments

• E7C92E7A-3721-4AB8-8486-730E94F04F01.jpeg
    E7C92E7A-3721-4AB8-8486-730E94F04F01.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 79
Maybe not weird, but I took a plaster cock down to a wreck and left it in the toilet inside.

My car keys. Discovered after 15 mins at 35m dangling from chest D-ring. No point in ending the dive as they were bound to be knackered.

Staggeringly, when returned back to the car thinking of the utter grief I'll be getting... Pressed the button and the car unlocked.

+1 for Subaru; keys waterproof for an hour at 35m/120ft.

-1 for the idiot diver clipping keys to rebreather chest D-ring after locking car.

Back
Top Bottom