New to Caves: Add to gear or buy new set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lurking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi, I’m getting into cave diving and excited as Hells Bells. I own all my main OW gear but will move to sidemount.

My question is if I should just add another Stage I & II and an SPG to my existing setup or just buy a whole new set that’s made (marketed?) specifically for sidemount.

While I’m asking in general for future viewers of this post, I’m using:
- Regulator: Zeagle Envoy II (5 hp ports, no swivel)
- Console (SPG, compass)
- Shearwater Computer & Transmitter

I’m considering adding one Apeks XTX50/DTS (or another Zeagle to match for ease during service) and use my existing console + transmitter — or if I should just buy the set that includes 2 of everything, meaning ending up with extra gear that I probably won’t use anymore. Once I go SM, I’ll try to do my future vacation fun dives with this same setup.

Has anyone else had this dilemma? I’m trying to keep the additional expenditure down so any thoughts would be appreciated!

For sidemount it is best to have a reg with a swivel. Also the console has to go.

Personally I just keep two sets of gear, it ain't worth the effort to change everything over for a rec dive, and sidemount off of boats suck. I even bought a third transmitter for my rec set once Shearwater implemented the changes that allowed more than two.

One thing you can do, and I did. Rent the gear for your sidemount class, and even early cave classes. I didn't own my own SM regs or even primary until my second weekend of cave training. I wanted to figure out what my instructor wanted and what worked best for me, so rental gear made sense for the first weekend. It will save you money in the long term because you don't know, what you don't know yet.

Another way to save money is to buy used gear. I bought cheap Mk25s/G250HPs for a steal, and use them for my stage and deco bottles. Some users here are fiends for Mk10s and G250s. Both can be found cheaply on the classifieds here, FB Marketplace, or eBay.

Cave diving and consoles do not belong in the same sentence. Erase any thought from your mind about using your console for cave diving. Don’t go there. Ever. ;-)

You want the swivel. Makes a huge difference. Look at Dive Rite regs. 5th port and swivel. I can’t tell much difference with my Apeks XTX50. Plus they’re cheaper.

I had my gear before my intro to cave class last year as I was already an established SM diver. I use two transmitters, no SPGs.

Talk to your instructor, go for an open water dive with them in your current setup - if possible. Discuss what you need for their class and what can wait at that time.

The console has got to go

Personally I just keep two sets of gear, it ain't worth the effort to change everything over for a rec dive, and sidemount off of boats suck. I even bought a third transmitter for my rec set
I may end up doing this, two sets. Perhaps I’ll get two xDeep harnesses that I could switch onto the same wing when I move between SM and BM.

Hmm, if I buy a second transmitter, then I guess I wouldn’t need the console during single BM fundives either, that’d be nice.

I use two transmitters, no SPGs.
I’ve wondered about this for SM, though I think I’d feel nervous about one transmitter failing.

The console has got to go
Very consistent. While I was leaning on ditching the console anyway, I didn’t realize there was such strong opinion on that. Very helpful, thank you.

Mate I've done about a million hours sidemount research and I'm not a sidemount diver

Not a cave diver and done that too

A set of your own dedicated sidemount regs. ScubaPro mk25s or Apeks DSTs (with 5th port).

Two simple SPGs on short HP hoses (sticking out lollypop style, or tucked back stage style).

Longhose which is bungeed down on the RHS is my favoured option.

Shorthose necklaced and with a 90 degree elbow -- NOT a swivel thing as they break.

Then sort your harness out. Loads of tweaking at twiddling to do. New skills to learn.

Tip. Dive in Sidemount a lot for practice before going near a cave. You'll like it. Do not "do cave and sidemount" at the same time. You'll be overloaded and will hate it. Get yourself sorted in sidemount before "doing cave".

@Lurking

It’s become quite common for transmitters only to be used for cave diving. Very few issues.

And yes, get some experience with SM before going cave. You’ll be task loaded otherwise.

Hi, I’m getting into cave diving and excited as Hells Bells. I own all my main OW gear but will move to sidemount.

My question is if I should just add another Stage I & II and an SPG to my existing setup or just buy a whole new set that’s made (marketed?) specifically for sidemount.

While I’m asking in general for future viewers of this post, I’m using:
- Regulator: Zeagle Envoy II (5 hp ports, no swivel)
- Console (SPG, compass)
- Shearwater Computer & Transmitter

I’m considering adding one Apeks XTX50/DTS (or another Zeagle to match for ease during service) and use my existing console + transmitter — or if I should just buy the set that includes 2 of everything, meaning ending up with extra gear that I probably won’t use anymore. Once I go SM, I’ll try to do my future vacation fun dives with this same setup.

Has anyone else had this dilemma? I’m trying to keep the additional expenditure down so any thoughts would be appreciated!
What you need for sidemount cave diving in terms of gear, in order of expense I guess, is a SM specific harness, a primary light, regulators with the proper hose length and routing ability, and then lots of less expensive things. You already have a good computer, so that's covered. Here is a great gear list:

Under the Jungle is a truly great place to learn how to dive sidemount in caves, BTW. You could not find better instruction or a more positive, professional shop culture. And the caves in Mexico are amazing.

Once you have a look at the gear list, you'll see that regulators with swivels are required. I guess there are people that dive sidemount without swivels, but I wouldn't. You'll also see that your investment for learning both sidemount (properly!) and cave certification is big, maybe 20-25 days of training and lots of practice days in between. That's where the bulk of the money goes, as it should IMO, because good training is the key to doing this safely.

For regulators, I use old SP regs; MK5, MK10, MK15 (stay away from buying MK15s due to lack of parts availability) and any of the older balanced 2nd stages are great. I like the 109 metal case 2nds, but the G250, the original version as opposed to the HP, is a great choice. I also very much like the D series 2nds, I have several D300s that I use all the time. All these regs are very inexpensive compared to new reg sets. You can probably find a pair of MK10s and a pair of G250 2nd for under $300, and there's an excellent service tech on this forum (rsingler) who can get them in top shape for you. Then you just need hoses: 7ft long hose, 24" short hose w/90 degree elbow, 6"-9" inflator hose (this might come with the harness) and either another transmitter for your ai shearwater or a pair of SPGs, get the small ones, on 6" or 9" hoses.

Hope this is helpful!

I’m trying to keep the additional expenditure down ...
You definitely need a dedicated set of regulators. It's the first stages which are important; a swiveling turret is really helpful.

The long & short hose is the same as you'd have used for backmount. If you've not yet been through backmount, then you'll need to get the right regulators as recreational regs aren't compatible.

Use a couple of simple SPGs on short hoses. These cost little, certainly against transmitters. AI really is an indulgence; setting you up for ~$1500! SPGs will cost ~$150.

You will need a couple of cylinders with modular valves -- like a twinset, but with the manifold replaced with blanking plugs. Depending where you're diving, steel cylinders are better as they can contain much more gas than ali tanks.

You will need a decent sidemount harness. Something like the XDeep Tech; highly regarded and works well.

Try second hand kit, especially the regulators. You absolutely don't need the shiny shiny oooh look at these overpriced crap that dive shops will try and flog to you. Remember second stages do not need to be the same manufacturer as the first stages (they don't know that the 10 bar of gas is from something different).

Look at work-horse second stages: Apeks ATX40s are dirt cheap and very reliable. The two first stages: look at second hand Mk25s; buy them one at a time. Often you might get this with a recreational set in which case remove the hoses and 'console' and sell them on. Keep the regs.

Most of us have accumulated loads of kit over the years. It's a gradual process and is guaranteed to mean when you look, you cannot find it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom