Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Guys! Im new here. I am planning a trip to Playa Mujeres in December. I know they offer some diving there.
But i was wondering if it would be better in Cozumel. Would it be worth it to take a taxi.
Should I rent gear or bring my own?. Maybe just my own reg. Cause of Covid.
Thanks!

I'm guessing you mean take a taxi to catch the ferry over to Cozumel. If you want to know more about Cozumel, a couple of threads:

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

On this scuba forum, Cozumel is mentioned a great deal; can't say that about Playa Mujeres. While I haven't dove the latter, circumstantial evidence suggests Cozumel is the superior dive destination.

That said, what is your goal/agenda for this trip? If it's just diving, how did you arrive at Playa Mujeres as the destination? If you want more than diving, tell us about the 'more.'

If you're fine with rental gear, that should be no problem. I'd suggest bring your own mask, dive computer that you're familiar with, and if you are a tough fit then consider whether they can fit you (but hey, I've got size 15 feet and may be projecting).

So, are you asking whether you should stay in Playa Mujeres or Cozumel, or whether during your Playa Mujeres stay you should take a day or two and make side-trips to Cozumel?

Isla Mujeres?

Hey Guys! Im new here. I am planning a trip to Playa Mujeres in December. I know they offer some diving there.
But i was wondering if it would be better in Cozumel. Would it be worth it to take a taxi.
Should I rent gear or bring my own?. Maybe just my own reg. Cause of Covid.
Thanks!
Do you mean Isla mujeres? I was off Isla Mujeres for the whale sharks this past summer (not diving). We took a private van fron Playa Del Carmen (Cenotes and diving off Cozumel) to swim with the Whale Sharks off Isla Mujeres. My opinion is to skip Isla Mujeres and go right to Cozumel. That’s my plan for the future.

Sorry ..actualy were staying in Costa Mujeres. Its already booked.
I guess we could catch the ferry to Cosumel.
I'm guessing Costa Mujeres is an area on the mainland in Cancun - not the same as Isla Mujeres. With that in mind, I'm all about ease when traveling and diving. You can easily find a dive op in Cancun - two are below:
Both offer dives in Cancun and around Isla Mujeres as well as a trip to Cozumel.

With that said, I've never been diving in Cancun and don't recall reading much here on SB from those who actually have. Because I'm all about ease, if I were staying in Cancun, I would spend a few days diving there so I could form my own opinion about the diving - who knows - it could be fantastic on the days I dove.

As suggested, Cozumel is great. According to the Cancun dive ops I shared above, they charge $215+ for that trip. You could do it cheaper on your own, but then you have to figure the logistics of a 1 day trip -driving/parking, taxi/bus, timing the ferry schedule both there and back, finding a dive op and getting to it after arriving on Cozumel. It's possible that you could find a Playa Del Carmen dive op that will take the Coz trip as long as you get to PDC on your own, about an hour+ drive from Cancun. Dressel Divers would be one of those dive ops and it would be diving with their op on Cozumel. If you take your own gear, how far do you want to lug it if you plan a Coz day on your own? From your room to car, from car to ferry, ferry to taxi, taxi to dive op/boat, then wet gear from boat back to taxi, from taxi to ferry, from ferry to car, and from car back to room. Not sure how the Cancun dive ops get you there, but it may be more convenient than trying to plan it on your own.

I offer this suggestion: Puerto Morelos is a small village located about 22 miles south from Cancun. It has a protected national reef park - the scuba diving there is pretty good (I have been diving there.) Other SB members will say the same. Nice wreck and reef. You can also get a taste of a small Mexican village with some good restaurants. You're also not blowing a whole day. And yes, if Coz is still on your mind, a Puerto Morelos dive op also offers that trip starting at 8 am and getting back at 5 pm.

Don't know the length of your trip, but if it were only a week, my suggestion would be to dive in Cancun and try to get to Puerto Morelos 1 day. If diving multiple days, I'd take my gear.

But i was wondering if it would be better in Cozumel.

If your plan was to go diving everyday in Coz and you had all of the details worked out, I'd say go for it. I have a non-diving wife, so have to consider other activities - no way I could go from Cancun to Coz everyday. If your plan was to sample Coz one day, I'd say skip it - I'd hate for anyone to go and there be a bad diving day due to currents or worse a port closure and then go home saying Coz isn't that great.

Welcome to SB. Hope you have a great trip. I'll be in Coz in late Nov. and early Dec.

I've never dove a cenote; some rave about them, and if you're on the mainland of Mexico not far from some, seems like a great opportunity to get in some diving that many people speak very highly of.

Aha. For those of us who have never heard of Playa/Costa Mujeres: Discovering Playa Mujeres

"Playa Mujeres is located about 25 minutes north of Cancun’s airport. The luxury beach destination has managed to remain in the shadows while Cancun has danced in the spotlight. Currently there are just a handful of hotels in the area, which is what has kept it so exclusive."

So, as one might guess, Playa Mujeres or Costa Mujeres refers to the mainland just across the strait from Isla Mujeres.

We don't see many trip reports on SB about diving in Cancun, probably because SB members are primarily interested in diving, and the diving in Cozumel is world-renowned, while Cancun has a reputation for luxury resorts and late-night partying. If you don't have a lot of spare time, maybe save Cozumel for another trip when you can focus on diving. It seems like it would be a bit of a haul--a very long day--to take a taxi or bus down to Playa del Carmen, then the ferry to Cozumel, squeeze in some diving, and return to Costa Mujeres on the same day.

I've never dove a cenote; some rave about them, and if you're on the mainland of Mexico not far from some, seems like a great opportunity to get in some diving that many people speak very highly of.
Cenote diving is cool—once. Caves/caverns not my thing. Dove Cenotes in July. Had to talk myself out of a panic. Too similar to a cave, for me.

A good guide will make the cenote experience a lot better. I highly recommend giving it a try. We did Cenote Taj Maha with dresel divers and it was a great and safe experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom