Any chance to see a Peregrine Ai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that makes sense, but from the manf standpoint it would be a perdix (hardware wise). What they should really do is sell the perdix with less software and when the time comes you can upgrade (at a cost) to get that functionality of trimix.. Say sell the perdix with Peregrine software for ~ $600-$650 and then upgrade software for whatever the difference is. They wouldn't have to "reinvent" anything, and the end user could choose how much "dc" they really need.

I have no idea what it costs to build a perdix, so I'm not sure if they'd still be making $... but I would bet they'd still be making out alright. The only downside is, you don't get to sell a whole other dc. I know there's other dc that do that...

That would fill that niche where someone wants Ai and compass for a little more. Idk... just thinking out loud...
It’s hard to prevent people from hacking the software.

Most of the people I know who have a Teric don’t dive trimix.

@rob.mwpropane hypothetical numbers mean nothing and the scenario that a peregrine AI only negatively affects sales of the perdix AI and teric is possible too. so total unit volume is flat and revenue/profit goes down.
Yeah... I have no idea. SW has a good base, it'll be interesting to se what they do next.

a peregrine AI would cost virtually the same as a perdix AI to manufacture, the software difference is basically zero cost to shearwater, so a cheaper peregrine AI doesn't make any business sense if rec divers are already buying the perdix AI or teric over the peregrine for AI.
From a cost to manufacture standpoint, I would bet that the costs to manufacture the electronics on a Peregrine and a Perdix AI are very similar already. The cost of the chips placed on the board is just a small part of the total cost.

The big costs come in redesigning the circuit board itself, and that can lead to additional manufacturing costs related to changeovers. But, I would imagine the board is the same. That cuts down changeover time since there is no need to cycle the board out. During changeover, you would just need to update the marking info, change the placement machine program and go. Tooling and profiles would be the same.

This approach would signif reduce any R&D costs, and save money on the board costs. Board manufacturers costs vary greatly based on lot sizes. So using the same board would contribute greatly to lower costs. Parts could even be placed for AI and compass and deactivated by software at the backend, but since that is so easy to changeover, the chips probably aren’t placed.

The above is based on being in the manufacturing industry Since 1997. Most of that time in electronics manufacturing.

Why don't you just refer the original question to Shearwater.

The Peregrine has an internal rechargeable battery. Not sure how much additional power AI needs but it is a potential issue if it's significant.

Nice to see a thread that voices exactly what I am after… I think I can wait one more year in the hope that Shearwater will bring a Peregrine-AI. Else I will consider the i770r which looks like a close cousin on the design front.( I already own a transmitter so my choices for a compatible DC are very limited).

One question I have is suppose I decide to train for 40m deco dives before deciding on the purchase of a tech DC, will either Peregrine or the i770r allow that or lockout for the next 24h? (I think the i770 will lockout not sure about the Peregrine)…

The potential lockout is if you MISS deco stops. I'm not aware of any computer that locks up if you follow its deco guidance.

Shearwater doesn’t lock out on the other computers so I doubt the Peregrine does.

Shearwater doesn’t lock out on the other computers so I doubt the Peregrine does.
Just looked up the manual you are right -

3 GasNx (Three Gas Mode)
Designed for use during advanced diving activities including light technical diving involving planned decompression.
• Three programmable gases
• Support for gas switching
• Nitrox up to 100%”

The potential lockout is if you MISS deco stops. I'm not aware of any computer that locks up if you follow its deco guidance.

I may be mistaken, but when I glanced thru the manual of i770r for example, I got the idea that it will simply lockout if you go into deco…

Edit: My bad you are right! Page 60 of the manual…
I770r Manual

Back
Top Bottom