Soccoro April or May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on the Nautilus Belle Amie May 28-June 6, 2021, and it was not a fun trip. This time of the year is on the cusp of the start of hurricane season. Climate change seems to be changing the expectations of seasonal weather, but we had a tropical depression brewing 300 miles from us, so the whole week was cloudy and overcast, low viz, rough seas (6-7 foot swells, cold water (72 degrees-5 mil wetsuit), low number of animals, severe upwelling and downwelling currents, and just all around uncomfortable. And I mean rough seas so bad that I had to hold onto the edges of the bed so I wouldn't get tossed out. I'm sure the animals were out there, but we just couldn't see very far ahead. Even the most seasoned divers in the water were thumbing the dives. Probably one of my worst dive trips ever.

Conversely, I was on the Belle Amie in November 2020 (first time to Socorro), and it was one of my top dive trips ever, which is why I returned so soon in May 2021. Calm seas, great visibility, lots of animals, warm water (83 degrees-dive skin only), strong but manageable currents, and a very pleasant and enjoyable trip.

Attachments

• Socorro June 2021.JPG
    Socorro June 2021.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Socorro Nov 2020.JPG
    Socorro Nov 2020.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 26
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom