Question Comparing ScubaPro Mk2 EVO/R195 to Atomic Aquatics Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The F8 looks very interesting especially since the second stage is an AA SS. The ONYX II is also interesting. My issue is that their prices are head to head with AA regulators. For me, for the same amount of money, I'd rather buy AA regulator with all of its features and performance. What do you think?
Internals on all my 2nds have the AA improvements, so they perform very similarly.

For the 1sts, the Atomics are Piston, the Zeagles are diaphragm. I much prefer sealed diaphragms over sealed pistons.

The seconds breathe very well. Both the Zeagles and the Atomics that I use. The auto venturi on the Atomics is a neat feature, but honestly the manual lever is not a big deal. I really wouldn’t care either way.

Zeagles have always performed well on the ANSTI machines. Plus, there are a few commercial spearfishers in my area that dive older Zeagles. They dive way more often, and quite a bit deeper than I care to. I figure that’s a solid endorsement.

It's a little strange that the Atomic is less expensive than the MK2. I guess SP has gone completely insane with their prices. I love the MK2, but no way would I ever pay $500 for one, especially if you could get the Atomic for less!
I can buy a Mk2 Evo DIN for $156 US [209 AU] here in Australia.
Atomic is expensive here.
Mk2 Evo DIN with a R195 $339 US, and I am sure I could acquire the R195 for less.
For you it's the Atomic price, parts etc .
Can't believe the price of SP where you live.

I'm on my second Scuba Pro as my last one was replaced after using it for about 20+ years. The one I now have is about as old and still going strong. I take care of my gear and get it serviced every few years. I'm not familiar with Atomic except for it's good reputation. Over a period of 15-20 years, no matter which one you get, if you take care of it, the price difference is nothing..

I can buy a Mk2 Evo DIN for $156 US [209 AU] here in Australia.
Atomic is expensive here.
Mk2 Evo DIN with a R195 $339 US, and I am sure I could acquire the R195 for less.
For you it's the Atomic price, parts etc .
Can't believe the price of SP where you live.

MK2 EVO/R195 MSRP in our region is €312 but the MK11/C370 is only €292. The MK2 EVO/R095 is €249

The F8 looks very interesting especially since the second stage is an AA SS. The ONYX II is also interesting. My issue is that their prices are head to head with AA regulators. For me, for the same amount of money, I'd rather buy AA regulator with all of its features and performance. What do you think?
For diving cold water, I prefer a sealed diaphragm regulator. The way Atomic does their "sealing" is to pump Christolube into the exposed chamber of the first stage. This is a mess to clean up when servicing and also expensive to service.
The new Zeagle second stages designed in collaboration with Atomic are pretty nice. I have a new Onyx and really like it too. I also have some Flathead VIs with ZX seconds and they are still good solid performers.

If you need cold water performance, find a regulator that doesn't need a bunch of Christolube. If cold water is not a thing for you then Atomic is excellent.

Negative on Zeagle in my opinion is that horrible black coating on the first stage. It looks cheap. Kind of like a gun coating. I prefer shiny chrome.

For diving cold water, I prefer a sealed diaphragm regulator. The way Atomic does their "sealing" is to pump Christolube into the exposed chamber of the first stage. This is a mess to clean up when servicing and also expensive to service.
The new Zeagle second stages designed in collaboration with Atomic are pretty nice. I have a new Onyx and really like it too. I also have some Flathead VIs with ZX seconds and they are still good solid performers.

If you need cold water performance, find a regulator that doesn't need a bunch of Christolube. If cold water is not a thing for you then Atomic is excellent.

Negative on Zeagle in my opinion is that horrible black coating on the first stage. It looks cheap. Kind of like a gun coating. I prefer shiny chrome.

If you're not the one servicing it, who cares about the mess during service?

The bit of extra money for the service doesn't bother me. Especially for how inexpensive the Z2 is to purchase and how great of a regulator it is. Also, if you don't need the sealing, you can just have it serviced and not have the Christolube added.

What is the problem with Christolube in a cold water reg? None that I know of...? I would take my Atomic M1s in any water I care to dive in (which, so far has been down to about 39F).

Much is made about using sealed regs for salt or "dirty" water. It's a reason some people give for not using ScubaPro Mk25 1st stages. They have no option to be sealed.

In my opinion, that concern is a a huge mountain being made out of a mole hill. If you dive an unsealed piston 1st stage in salt or dirty water, what happens? Over time, you have dirt and/or salt crystals that get in the ambient chamber and cause some wear that you wouldn't get if it was sealed. And what does that mean? In the case of a Mk25, it means maybe in 10 years when you get it serviced, you'll have to have the ambient chamber cap replaced because of the wear. And that is a $20 part.

I would not hesitate to dive Atomic M1 (sealed) or ScubaPro Mk25 EVO regs in any conditions - cold, dirty, salt, etc.. In fact, I have and use both. I would use Atomic Z2s in any of those conditions, too - only making sure they are environmentally sealed if I were taking them in cold water (e.g. low 40s or lower).

For diving cold water, I prefer a sealed diaphragm regulator. The way Atomic does their "sealing" is to pump Christolube into the backside of the piston. This is a mess to clean up when servicing and also expensive to service.

The bit of extra money for the service doesn't bother me. Especially for how inexpensive the Z2 is to purchase and how great of a regulator it is. Also, if you don't need the sealing, you can just have it serviced and not have the Christolube added.

What is the problem with Christolube in a cold water reg? None that I know of...? I would take my Atomic M1s in any water I care to dive in (which, so far has been down to about 39F).

Much is made about using sealed regs for salt or "dirty" water. It's a reason some people give for not using ScubaPro Mk25 1st stages. They have no option to be sealed.

In my opinion, that concern is a a huge mountain being made out of a mole hill. If you dive an unsealed piston 1st stage in salt or dirty water, what happens? Over time, you have dirt and/or salt crystals that get in the ambient chamber and cause some wear that you wouldn't get if it was sealed. And what does that mean? In the case of a Mk25, it means maybe in 10 years when you get it serviced, you'll have to have the ambient chamber cap replaced because of the wear. And that is a $20 part.

I would not hesitate to dive Atomic M1 (sealed) or ScubaPro Mk25 EVO regs in any conditions - cold, dirty, salt, etc.. In fact, I have and use both. I would use Atomic Z2s in any of those conditions, too - only making sure they are environmentally sealed if I were taking them in cold water (e.g. low 40s or lower).
Well, I am the one typically servicing it... So there! :p
I am not saying it's a horrible thing. I am just simply bringing up a fact that may sway a decision one way or the other.

I love Atomic regs. Easy to service and quality. Just don't love their way of sealing the regulator. And yes, if you don't want to reseal it you can skip adding the CL in the ambient chamber. You also have to replace the solid rubber seal with the vented one.

I do like the SP Mk25. They have added coatings and insulators to prevent freezing in cold water removing the need for a sealed chamber.

I actually prefer the black coating over shiny chrome, though I do agree that the black on the F8 1st stage appears to be a bit much. The shiny port plugs on my FH7 1st give me just enough contrast. The coating also seems to be wearing well. I’ve bonked my regulator off the ceiling at Devils Den, but it didn’t scratch through the coating.

In my opinion, that concern is a a huge mountain being made out of a mole hill.
Agree completely. That said, I do prefer sealed diaphragms in those environments, but It’s a preference not a must. The sealed diaphragm makes post dive cleanup a little quicker, and I don’t need to be quite as thorough.

Agree 100% from experience.

I love Atomic regs. Easy to service and quality. Just don't love their way of sealing the regulator. And yes, if you don't want to reseal it you can skip adding the CL in the ambient chamber. You also have to replace the solid rubber seal with the vented one.

I have been servicing AA regulators since circa 1998 and I have sold and serviced untold number of them and all that I sold were sealed including all mine and the ones I use in my dive school now. I have absolutly not issue with the the sealing feature of AA first stages and never found it to be an issue or hindrance or taking much longer time to clean and reseal. NEVER had any issue with water droplets in the Christo Lube. All of the criticism some bring out against the AA first stage sealing is just WAY exaggerated and a total nonissue for me. One must also take into consideration that AA regulators need not be serviced every year or two, I go for 5 or more years in between servicing of my regulators and only do it when I feel like it. Even when go that long without servicing, the regulator still performs like new. Hence the costs for the lube are a total non-issue over a 5 year period. In fact, even if done every two years, the costs is insignificant compared with a meal at McD's or the like. With the materials AA uses and because of the design of the first and especially the SS, all make the AA regulators as Murphy's law proof as can be.

Back
Top Bottom