Charging lithium-ion batteries: how far in advance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe a stupid question, maybe not. All my lights run on lithium-ion batteries (DR LX20, DR CX1 & CX2). My Thermolution heated vest is also powered by lithium-ion batteries. How far in advance of use can I charge them and the batteries still hold a good charge?

I like to pack my gear a couple days in advance of diving, especially if I'll be away for the weekend. PITA to have everything packed but the lights, which I've been charging the night before I leave.

I'm thinking that charging them earlier in the week I'll be using them (3-4 days before use) wouldn't affect the charge too much, but I'm not sure.

Unless your device is plugged in an drawing residual charge, lithium batteries will usually show no noticeable drop in charge for at least a couple of weeks if not longer.

Unless your device is plugged in an drawing residual charge, lithium batteries will usually show no noticeable drop in charge for at least a couple of weeks if not longer.
You'll kill/wear down batteries fairly quickly doing that.

3-4days before is fine. Anything longer than a week between dives I'll put the Batts in a storage charge between 20-80%

You'll kill/wear down batteries fairly quickly doing that.

3-4days before is fine. Anything longer than a week between dives I'll put the Batts in a storage charge between 20-80%

Respectively disagree. Letting them drain to 0% and charging up to 100% on need will kill them. Keeping them on a maintenance charge, then charging to 100% a week before use is no issue whatsoever. You may lose 2-5% over the period depending on device and the battery's maintenance circuit.

I think you are OK charging them 2-3 days ahead of time, probably even 4 or 5.

I charge all my batteries early in the week (and sometimes week before) when I travel to Indonesia, then it usually takes a few days of travel to get to final destination and actually in the water. I have never noticed any batteries not fully charged so I think you have plenty of room to push your charging back. My camera batteries will last weeks fully charged. My heated vest batteries also seem to hold charge for that first dive.

Lithium ion, doesn't like to be stored at max charge voltage for long periods,
(What long periods is, that's kinda up in the air, my opinion is a after a month)
Normal lithum ion 3.6v battery is charged to 4.2v after a while like a month it will drift a bit, depending on temp etc,
Charging it a week in advance is not a problem, assuming there is no draw on whatever its installed,,,(no electronic switch etc)
Just unplug or a pc of electric tape on the battery end,

FYI my primary cordless light (and backup) sits on shoulder straps, all the time, it has crazy burn time, I may not use it for 2 months, I am never worried that it will be dead.
If I use it for a long time on a dive i charge it,

From my experience with Sony A6000, batteries hold the charge better if not in the camera. Thus, a fully charged battery will show 100% charge when put into the camera a week after being charged. A battery fully charged and put into the camera will show 96-99% charge when the camera is turned on several days later.

Back
Top Bottom