Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone. We have some tentative good news.

Late Friday November 5, 2021, Cayman Government released details on the Cayman Islands move into phase 4 of our border opening.

After November 20, 2021, securely verifiable fully vaccinated travelers, and non-securely verifiable fully vaccinated travelers who travel from a country with vaccination rates that are 60% or higher for the first dose of the vaccine can travel to the Cayman Islands without a quarantine period.

You can read our latest update here: Cayman Islands border reopening update | Divetech | Grand Cayman

Tony

The Docket App now supports SMART verification so NJ is on the approved list.

Now we just need the dive resorts to re-open…

The Docket App now supports SMART verification so NJ is on the approved list.

Now we just need the dive resorts to re-open…
There will be plenty of dive operators will be open and ready for business. They will book up quicker than you might be used to, but there are many dive instructors that are still here, but working only 1 or 2 days a week. Same with resturatunts.

Hotels will have more limitations due to their lower staffing levels, but they will make it work.

Tony

I’ve recently spoken with a Caymanian business manager who said that it is likely that Cayman will re-open on November 20 as recently announced. He said that “there is now a strong public feeling in favor of re-opening despite the recent increase in local cases of covid.”...

Good news about moving into Phase 4 of the Cayman re-opening on Nov 20th!

Good news about moving into Phase 4 of the Cayman re-opening on Nov 20th!
I like how you quoted yourself there, very clever. All I was saying to you is to advocate caution. The plan still is not formal yet, and even though I am optimistic about it, it still might change. Remember there is dissent amongst some members of Government about re-opening. I was also very optimistic about our October 14 reopening.

Just saying, don't count your chickens until they hatch. I'll quote myself now as a reminder.
A quick reminder that the title of this thread is "Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May" which stemmed from a Government update 2020. To summarize the past 20 months, we were told in March 2020 we were closing for 10 days. We were then told we'd open in September 2020, March 2021, May 2021, October 2021. We don't have a good track record.

I've tried very hard to be supportive of Government. The reality is, I'm trying manage expectations for our customers.

Which is the way it should be. I know that businesses want to pre-book so the moment things open up they can go back to open money.

But personally while that is good for the business it is just a bad idea period. Governments go whichever way the wind blows, so relying on them keeping their promises is like trusting a used car salesman. If it works out great, but it probably isn't and the pissed off customers are going to blame you.

I like how you quoted yourself there, very clever. All I was saying to you is to advocate caution. The plan still is not formal yet, and even though I am optimistic about it, it still might change. Remember there is dissent amongst some members of Government about re-opening. I was also very optimistic about our October 14 reopening.

Just saying, don't count your chickens until they hatch. I'll quote myself now as a reminder.
I wasn’t trying to be snarky, my apologies if it seemed that way. I just wanted to show support for the information you shared because others are hearing similar news.

CaymanShelly posted this information below on TripAdvisor, the link below says that the USA paper CDC Vaccine Card will be accepted and you won't have to securely verify vaccination:

Posted on TripAdvisor by CaymanShelly:

List of flights to Grand Cayman
Nov 12, 2021, 2:27 PM

Grand Cayman Villas posted a great summary of info and included flight info.

Read on their site that Government is not charging the 13% occupancy tax until the end of year.

This particular company is also covering the cost of testing. It will be interesting to see if inducements will increase the reservations. There are so many cases there now.

Flights

the link below says that the USA paper CDC Vaccine Card will be accepted and you won't have to securely verify vaccination:
That would be good news for a number of reasons. For example, at the time I was working in health care and so got both Moderna vaccine doses very early on, at work, which had its own in-house pharmacy. I have my paper vaccine card, and used the VaxYes service of GoGetDoc (a name change since the positive review in PC Magazine) to get a Level 2 Verified eCard version for my iPhone's digital wallet, and got a booster at Walgreens.

But I'm not in that 'smart' whatever system, or Walmart's, so how to have anything verified?

Well, one way I could do it...show up at Walmart or another provider that can be verified, and ask for the single dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. Then I could verify in a widely accepted way that I'm fully COVID-19 vaccinated!

At the cost of people like me using up more doses in order to get 'vaccine passports.'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom