Hello from Detroit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well played sir, well played

And welcome!
c778be539a331f5ba54e6bdfc92cb048.jpeg

I’m a newbie from the Ann Arbor area! I have a few cold water dives but mostly warm water. I would like to make it the quarry again this fall.

I’m a newbie from the Ann Arbor area! I have a few cold water dives but mostly warm water. I would like to make it the quarry again this fall.
Hi Michael, welcome to the sport. I know the quarries are packing it in from what I've been reading but just learned today that Motor City SCUBA is running a dive on Black Friday @ Union Lake. Mike said they get 10-12 folks typically, but most will be in drysuits. Are you a wetsuit or drysuit diver? (nothing wrong with either)

When did people who don’t actually live in Detroit start saying they’re from Detroit? I left in ‘96 for the Chicago area for work reasons. In the Chicago area, people will say they’re from Chicago even if they live 40 miles out in the burbs. I’ve always said I’m from suburban Detroit. Growing up, you didn’t dare say you were from Detroit if you didn’t live in Detroit. And no one in their right mind lives in Detroit.

When did people who don’t actually live in Detroit start saying they’re from Detroit? I left in ‘96 for the Chicago area for work reasons. In the Chicago area, people will say they’re from Chicago even if they live 40 miles out in the burbs. I’ve always said I’m from suburban Detroit. Growing up, you didn’t dare say you were from Detroit if you didn’t live in Detroit. And no one in their right mind lives in Detroit.
@Marie13 This is also a state where people point to their hand to describe where they are from like a topographical map they always have with them. The city has gentrified a lot since the '90s, I worked EMS in the city (Cass Corridor, East Side, Downriver) then. It's better, not perfect, but no place is. I think it's more to give people a general idea of location than just Great Lakes. 40 miles would put you in Brighton, Clarkston, Ann Arbor, or a cow pasture in Richmond

Hi Michael, welcome to the sport. I know the quarries are packing it in from what I've been reading but just learned today that Motor City SCUBA is running a dive on Black Friday @ Union Lake. Mike said they get 10-12 folks typically, but most will be in drysuits. Are you a wetsuit or drysuit diver? (nothing wrong with either)
Hey. Thanks. I’ll have to look into this. I use a wetsuit in Michigan. Do they mind beginners joining them?

Detroit is a lot better than it used to be. People are living there on purpose again. The downtown area is pretty nice these days. I am from Phoenix but I tell people I live in “the Detroit area”. Everyone knows where that is. If I say my town Saline or even Ann Arbor they look at me funny. Of course if they know Michigan I’ll give them a more precise location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom