Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Manuel,

OK sir, I have verified with a couple of sources and for the waiver to apply you must either be a Mexican citizen retired in Mexico (age 60 +) or I believe you may be a foreign national also retired in Mexico. The waiver can be applied if you are either a teacher or student and have a valid teacher or student ID. What you were told by Solmar is in fact correct.

Greg

A bit of an update today, May 17...

We have just been contacted by CONANP, the organization in charge of the Socorro and Guadalupe parks. We were told that, in order to have the park fee waived for persons over 60, proof must be provided that the person is retired. In Mexico, this can be done via a card issued by the Mexican Government called an INAPAM. Obviously, there is no such thing in the US. Therefore, proof to show that a person is retired can be done by a photocopy of a social security check or pension check.

With direct deposit, I doubt anyone these days get a check. Perhaps a statement. And many do not have a pension but self fund their retirement. Of course there are many who are retired but not yet drawing social insecurity (can not get it until 62). So in reality there is no chance of a waiver unless one has INAPAM card. Which would make the most sense.

Hi Scared Silly,
Correct, unless you are a Mexican citizen or possibly a foreign national retired in Mexico, the waiver will not apply. However if you are a teacher or student with a valid ID, the waiver does apply.

Latest I just got from Rocio Del Mar is that the fees apply to all non-Mexicans, no matter what age. Nice hope for awhile but they'll get you in the end. FYI - we do have some spaces aboard the NAUTILUS UNDER SEA for New Year Socorro trip Dec 30-Jan 7 led by a photo-pro who will offer workshop on board. Contact us for details. Dom

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
www.diveadvice.com
Tel: +33 492 94 02 99 (France)

Find available spaces, book a trip on a dive liveaboard | Dive Advice … for up-to-date liveaboard availability worldwide

"In Partnership with Amazing Adventures Travel of Mill Valley, California"

FWIW, Solmar just informed me that CONANP is now extending the park fee waiver to even non-Mexican nationals who meet those original requirements: over 60 and with proof of being retired. I sent my supporting docs (pension statement and Social Security statement) and they will submit them to CONANP for approval.

So there is still a glimmer of hope for us old farts after all.

Reactions: Dan
I have a similar confirmation from the Rocio del Mar Liveaboard.

SOCORRO PARK FEES

Effective January 16, 2022

SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

The park fee for Socorro is 1,611 pesos ($80) per day of diving. For a typical Socorro trip with six days of diving, it is $480. This fee does not apply to travel days. This fee can be paid in cash or credit card at the end of the trip.

PARK FEE EXCEPTIONS

CONANP, the park authorities, have changed their two exceptions for the park fee with the main exception for over 60/retired persons:

For people who are over 60 and can provide documentation that they are retired or pensioned, the park fee will be waived. According to the CONANP, any official document with the words "RETIRED" or "PENSIONED" will be accepted along with a photo of a current passport. Any other documentation will NOT be accepted.

For students and teachers: A 50% discount is available for ACTIVE/CURRENT students and teachers. To get this discount, a photocopy of an identification card showing a current date is required.

To apply for this exception, the above documentation is to be sent to Guest Services at Documents@MexicoLiveaboards.com no later than two weeks prior to boarding. Please note that CONANP has the final word if a document is accepted or not. If it is not accepted, the applicant will be required to pay the full park fees.

I must assume that since this was implemented January 16 and the liveaboards have been running trips since then, the fee has been waived. Most divers on the Rocio del Mar and Nautilus fleet are not Mexican citizens.

... For people who are over 60 and can provide documentation that they are retired or pensioned, the park fee will be waived. According to the CONANP, any official document with the words "RETIRED" or "PENSIONED" will be accepted along with a photo of a current passport. Any other documentation will NOT be accepted...
Interesting. Having retired from the RCAF, I have ID (from Veterans Affairs Canada) which identifies me as a Veteran. I do not, however have any which specifically uses the words "Retired" or "Pensioned".

As they say, it is all in the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom