Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the time has come.... not sure if I'll make it either weekend, but figured I'd throw it out there as a reminder. Last weekend's for Dutch are this weekend and next... pretty sad really. :confused::banghead::mad:

There's always New Years too, but that's such a small window to dive.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 32
Well the time has come.... not sure if I'll make it either weekend, but figured I'd throw it out there as a reminder. Last weekend's for Dutch are this weekend and next... pretty sad really. :confused::banghead::mad:

There's always New Years too, but that's such a small window to dive.
Very sad!

I haven't been able to make it up yet this year myself. Between loss of local buddies, personal and family medical stuff, family responsibilities, just no time.

@rob.mwpropane If you can make it up sometime next Thursday - Saturday count me in! I'm looking to get there at some point in that window.

Well I got the boys there twice this past summer before the closure. At least they can tell stories about what used to be.

We have camped there 6 or 7 times this year all weekend long. All 4 of my boys were cert there this year. We've had GREAT memories, it really is sad to see it go. I have so much fun with the kids there, catching crayfish, goofing off upside down, blowing bubbles. It's so relaxing to just show up with a camper and relax and dive. Family season pass was money well spent.

@jd as per the above calendar they're no longer open M-F this late in the year. And I'm booked doing other stuff both this weekend and next. If you'd like to jump on the Gypsy Blood in NJ on 11/13 to dive the Algol I'll be there:)

Edit: just looked up the charter, it's sold out...:(

We have camped there 6 or 7 times this year all weekend long. All 4 of my boys were cert there this year. We've had GREAT memories, it really is sad to see it go. I have so much fun with the kids there, catching crayfish, goofing off upside down, blowing bubbles. It's so relaxing to just show up with a camper and relax and dive. Family season pass was money well spent.

@jd as per the above calendar they're no longer open M-F this late in the year. And I'm booked doing other stuff both this weekend and next. If you'd like to jump on the Gypsy Blood in NJ on 11/13 to dive the Algol I'll be there:)

Edit: just looked up the charter, it's sold out...:(
My diving for this year was insufficient for me to responsibly jump onto a Gypsy Blood trip in Nov. anyway. My one trip on GB (Venturo - August '19) was converted to a single dive after we went from calm day to bronco ride while we were under.

I hope you have a great trip!

My diving for this year was insufficient for me to responsibly jump onto a Gypsy Blood trip in Nov. anyway. My one trip on GB (Venturo - August '19) was converted to a single dive after we went from calm day to bronco ride while we were under.

I hope you have a great trip!
I've been on 3 so far this year. Our last trip was averted when we arrived on site and the ocean was rolling! Captain said "this isn't gonna happen", lol... we went 80 miles to dive 4 miles off shore that day!

It happens.

There is a CNBC video that talks about it, and the company that bought it (Trammell Crow) says they plan to keep it open for diving, but it's all very vague.

Why Warehouses Are Taking Over The U.S.

Lehigh Valley native Stuart Schooley told CNBC that he and some friends tried to stop the construction of the first warehouse on their street.
“We realized we couldn’t stop it ... [and it] just started a progression of one warehouse after the other. We were the last property,” Schooley, owner of Dutch Springs, a diving center and aqua park in the Lehigh Valley, told CNBC.
Now, Schooley is selling the land so he and his wife Jane can retire.
Real estate developer Trammell Crow is purchasing the property and looking to build two warehouses on the land.
“We used to be quite welcome, and the worm has definitely turned, especially in places like the Lehigh Valley, where I think people feel like when is enough, enough?” Andrew Mele, managing director in Trammell Crow’s Northeast metro division, told CNBC.

My GF is very unhappy as she likes it there. She wants to start a save Dutch fund.
Any idea what it’s selling for and what the revenue is?

Any idea what it’s selling for and what the revenue is?

A lot and not very much but I don't know exacts.

There is a CNBC video that talks about it, and the company that bought it (Trammell Crow) says they plan to keep it open for diving, but it's all very vague.

Why Warehouses Are Taking Over The U.S.

Lehigh Valley native Stuart Schooley told CNBC that he and some friends tried to stop the construction of the first warehouse on their street.
“We realized we couldn’t stop it ... [and it] just started a progression of one warehouse after the other. We were the last property,” Schooley, owner of Dutch Springs, a diving center and aqua park in the Lehigh Valley, told CNBC.
Now, Schooley is selling the land so he and his wife Jane can retire.
Real estate developer Trammell Crow is purchasing the property and looking to build two warehouses on the land.
“We used to be quite welcome, and the worm has definitely turned, especially in places like the Lehigh Valley, where I think people feel like when is enough, enough?” Andrew Mele, managing director in Trammell Crow’s Northeast metro division, told CNBC.
That video does not paint a picture where Dutch's continuation as dive and recreation facility had significant priority.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom