Question Comparing ScubaPro Mk2 EVO/R195 to Atomic Aquatics Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BattleshipTexas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy. Let me start my first post by saying thank you to this community. For the last three weeks I have spent hours reading questions and replies, and I appreciate how helpful and informative this community is toward one another. It has been a tremendous help to me as I navigate the myriad regulator options to make my first purchase of one.

For background I am still a novice diver (~40 dives) even though I was certified as Advanced Scuba Diver over twenty years ago. With the kids now older I have decided to reengage diving and recently completed a refresher course and Nitrox certification. I know from those forty dives that everything I want to see is in 66ft/20m or less of warm, ocean water along the Atlantic coast of the Americas or islands of the Pacific as I am content to watch colorful wildlife move about. To keep skills fresh I may dive in local quarries (Carolinas) when the water temperature is at or above 68F/20C, and for the foreseeable future I don’t see an interest in technical diving.

I have narrowed my search down to the ScubaPro Mk2 EVO/R195 ($490 MSRP) and the Atomic Z2 ($459 MSRP). My thinking is that they are rock solid reliable and have local shops that can service them. I wanted to identify lower priced regulators, but other than Aqua Lung there is not a good market presence for anyone else.

The Mk2 EVO/R195 is not balanced in both 1st (piston) and 2nd stages, but it seems well regarded and conforms to EN250:2014 (“EN250A”) when paired with the R195 Octo. I have little doubt that it will have parts for years to come and is easily serviced. The warranty is lifetime against defects so long as you can document the prescribed maintenance (a paperwork headache).

The Z2 is balanced in both 1st (piston) and 2nd stages and has an extra HP port in case I want to add an air integrated computer in the future. While I know that theroretically balanced is easier/more consistent to breath I don't know that I will notice it in the type of diving I qualified above. I was not able to confirm it meets EN250A. Atomic has been around for 25 years, seems to be a solid player, but I have read some comments that the servicing kits and labor are relatively expensive compared to other manufacturers. The warranty is lifetime without the need to document the prescribed maintenance.

I welcome your opinions on these two regulators along with suggestions for other points I should consider in evaluating these side-by-side.

Thanks,

Wesley

While the mk2 is a solid regulator, the Atomic would be my choice between these two, the balanced first I prefer but for the most part it’s irrelevant to the diver, the Z second stage is as good as it gets, a very high performance second.

If you ask me these are totally in different leagues. Mk2/r195 is very basic albeit its super bullet proof workhorse. Atomic is a totally different level and compares to a higher end SP regs. Out of these two I would get Atomic without thinking twice. I love SP but prices in NA are totally out of wack.

You might also look at the AL Titan which has a lightweight balanced first stage and a downstream classic second stage. Also a regulator known to be bullet proof. It has two HP ports to accommodate your remote transducer if you eventually get one.

James

FWIW: AA regs Exceeds requirement for European CEN250 (1.5 joules/liter @ 50 meters) and USN group A (.14 kg.m/liter @ 200 feet at 62.5 RMV)

I am biased* but AA regs are a better reg. Single service kits for all of their regs, they all perform the same. Easy to work on, easy to replace parts.

*Biased in that I have been giving them exclusively for over 15 years as well as rebuilding them. Shameless plug I have a titanium AA reg up for sale.

Out of those 2, Atomic would be my choice. Like mentioned by Scared SIlly, Atomic uses the same engineering platform on all their regs. They are also flow through piston design rather than the Mk2 which is flow by piston. I love SP but for those 2 models, the Atomic wins....

The AL titan @ $399 is also a solid choice shoehorned between the two.

Mk2 setup is good. Z2 setup is much better.

For less money, the Z2 is a no-brainer.

I love the simplicity of the workhorse MK-2, but in no way is that a justifiable price for what it is... The Z2 is by far better (and it pains me to say it as I am a SP obsessed owner of their regulators).

Back
Top Bottom