Best trip (not dive) insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased trip insurance through IMG. While the coverage sounded excellent, I am now experiencing issues in trying to obtain reimbursement for expenses due to a trip delay. We had our flight canceled coming back from a recent dive trip and incurred hotel and meal costs for which I am now trying to be reimbursed. I am a bit frustrated with trying to find anyone who will discuss my claim, and I received an email that my meals will not be reimbursed.

So...does anyone have good experience with submitting a claim and being timely reimbursed? Good customer service?

I guess you really don't know how good your trip insurance is until you try to make a claim. Thank you

I have had good experiences with Trawick International. I have not had to file a claim with them, but they provide international health policies for trips, etc. My policies have been underwritten through them by Nationwide, which is of course a reputable company. I even had them write a policy for a trip to Turks and Caicos where we had to provide proof of special COVID coverage for a Visa there. In that case, they also provided the VISA letter addressed to immigration. Awesome company to work with. Rate for me and my wife for $500k in COVID hospitalization coverage, regular healthcare against illness, accidents, and emergency evac ($25k) was about $90 for the week....which covered both of us. They also provided trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage. No reason to think they would be difficult in the claims process.

I have had good experiences with Trawick International. I have not had to file a claim with them, but they provide international health policies for trips, etc. My policies have been underwritten through them by Nationwide, which is of course a reputable company. I even had them write a policy for a trip to Turks and Caicos where we had to provide proof of special COVID coverage for a Visa there. In that case, they also provided the VISA letter addressed to immigration. Awesome company to work with. Rate for me and my wife for $500k in COVID hospitalization coverage, regular healthcare against illness, accidents, and emergency evac ($25k) was about $90 for the week....which covered both of us. They also provided trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage. No reason to think they would be difficult in the claims process.

Thanks but the trip insurance I purchased sounded perfectly good for my needs. No reason to think they would be difficult. I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to call/submit claims and had no issues and quick resolution. Like I said, you really don't know how "good" your insurance is until something happens.

Thanks but the trip insurance I purchased sounded perfectly good for my needs. No reason to think they would be difficult. I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to call/submit claims and had no issues and quick resolution. Like I said, you really don't know how "good" your insurance is until something happens.
Yep.....understood.

... I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to call/submit claims and had no issues and quick resolution.
I had a big class reunion right before the pandemic. It was not something like a vacation that I could reschedule since it was all about meeting a couple of hundred friends. I took out a policy with TravelGuard & cancel for any reason provision. Before I made even a single reservation, I made sure to exactly follow their rules. As it turned out, a category 4 hurricane swiped my home and I cancelled to stay home {it sucked seeing my friends post pictures}.

My airline ticket was given a 1yr credit. Rental car-no charge. My hotel was prepaid and my group meal events were prepaid and non-refundable. I filled out the claim forms for TravelGuard online as well as screen shots of the hurricane radar hitting my house(light damage). No phone calls, no emails, no questions. I had a full claim check of several hundred $$ in my hands 10 days later. I only purchase trip insurance for travel that just can never be replaced or delayed (like a reunion/wedding/funeral/etc,,,,,NOT Cozumel/etc.) The biggest thing I research is to read all the policy provisions and then buy the correct level insurance before any reservations are made, that's the biggest key to easy claim settlement. I'll stick with TravelGuard.

I have been buying annual travel insurance - more specifically, the AllTrips Executive Plan - from Allianz Global Assistance since 2016. It costs me $500 a year. I have made three claims so far for trip delays and a trip cancellation due to illness and have been reimbursed promptly after I provided all of the required substantiating documentation.

I purchased Dive Assures annual travel insurance, with liveaboard rider, last year. I recently had a trip cancelled while I was in the air, due to a crew member testing positive. I filed a claim for additional expenses while on the island. Unsurprisingly, I was denied. What did surprise me was the reason.

"Furthermore, the cancellation of a Liveaboard trip due to crew member contracting COVID-19 is not covered in the general provisions policy wording, as seen on page 7-8, so this incident, unfortunately, is not covered under your insurance."

Something to think about while you make your next decision.

Wow that's terrible @PACKRMAN I am curious - could you not submit a claim for reimbursement not based on crew member contracting COVID but based on the vendor/boat canceling the trip??

Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly - you said a claim for "additional expenses while on the island" - so you got your Liveaboard reimbursed (or future credit?) but not hotel, meals etc. due to staying on the island prior to flying back home, and obviously you could board the boat.

Wow that's terrible @PACKRMAN I am curious - could you not submit a claim for reimbursement not based on crew member contracting COVID but based on the vendor/boat canceling the trip??

Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly - you said a claim for "additional expenses while on the island" - so you got your Liveaboard reimbursed (or future credit?) but not hotel, meals etc. due to staying on the island prior to flying back home, and obviously you could board the boat.
Morning Janie
Diveassure was fully aware the trip was cancelled. I provided a letter from the Turks govt. quarantining the ship.

That is correct. The liveaboard was great thru the whole thing. The claim was for lodging, food and lost diving. We were not allowed on the boat at all.

I've insured with Allianz before (multiple times) and have collected without any issues. Best wishes @Janie88.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom