UB88 Full Photogrammetry Model (San Pedro -- 190 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have posted a few updates along the journey of building a detailed, full model of the UB88 which is a German WW 1 sub sunk on Jan 3, 1921 about 9 miles off the coast of San Pedro and about 190 feet deep to the sand. I have finally finished and published a detailed model of the entire sub (I still have problems with the ghost net at the very stern).

Given the depth and time limitations and that I was just learning photogrammetry when I started, it took me quite a few dives. A blog post with links to the sketchfab model (free download) and the summary of the dives are all posted at:

Here is a screen capture of the model:

ub88-cover.png

Enjoy,

- brett

That model is very cool!. Must have taken a ton of dedication to put it together.

It would be nice if the software provided a sliding ("dynamic") size scale, so you would always have an idea of how big something is when you zoom in and out.

edit: maybe that is impossible because the scale itself changes depending on perspective and point of view - i.e., things in foreground are naturally going to look larger???

Absolutely correct. Thanks for the catch. I've edited the original post.

I had a boat lined up to dive it on the 100 year anniversary this past January but the weather was very uncooperative! Maybe on the 101st year. :)

- brett

That model is very cool!. Must have taken a ton of dedication to put it together.

It would be nice if the software provided a sliding ("dynamic") size scale, so you would always have an idea of how big something is when you zoom in and out.

edit: maybe that is impossible because the scale itself changes depending on perspective and point of view - i.e., things in foreground are naturally going to look larger???

One of my follow-on projects is to photograph a diver by the conning tower and include that in the model to give a sense of scale.

Also, I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but there is a way to scale something in a model (might require the really expensive version of Metashape) according to real dimensions. I plan to measure the opening on the stern deck that was used to extract the engines and is now the entrance path into the wreck.

- brett

This is incredible work Brett, thanks for posting. Is there any sort of underwater archaeological club where you're located, or did you do all of this independently?

For those who haven't seen them, there are some great photos of Brett on the sub to show scale at Gaining a new Perspective on the UB88

This is incredible work Brett, thanks for posting. Is there any sort of underwater archaeological club where you're located, or did you do all of this independently?

Thanks for the feedback. I did the project on my own (and with dive buddies mentioned in the article). However, to be clear, I didn't find or identify the sub (that was done back in 2003).

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom