How often are foreign entry requirements updated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hoping to visit Curacao in Feb. Typically, I would already have flight and accommodations booked. The midweek mandatory Covid test is the deal breaker. I have had Covid plus been vaccinated three times. I take all precautions and mask up. I really don't worry about getting sick during my vacation. I worry about being tested and ending up with a positive result due to a) being an asymptomatic carrier b) a false positive result; thus ending up in quarantine. I respect visiting a county and adhering to their rules, but realize that I will need to book something soon seeing that Feb. is a busy time. Does anybody have any input as to how often the officials meet up and revisit current policies? Thanks in advance. Hoping to visit soon.

Frankly, it's a crap shoot. Best to make your arrangements such that postponing to another time is possible.
Right now the entry test (from the US) to Curacao is either a PCR test within 48 of departure for Curacao, or an antigen test within 24h of departure. The later is cheaper and more likely to provide results before youi depart. Plus, you will need an on-island antigent test on day 3 of your stay. Not a big deal.
Also, Curacao doesn't seem to care about your US vaccination status.
Curacao could, of course, tighten any/all of those requirements, on very short notice (days), but they are quite doable now so even tighter is not the end of the earth.
Monitor Corona English Updates for the latest.

We are currently booked for Curacao for the month of February into Coral Estates. We heard that our Canadian carrier Air Canada is offering covid tests that you can purchase and test yourself. I believe we would need to call in and give our test results. Im thinking its like a pregnancy test - sort of - hahaha. What if you could purchase a self administered test - test negative and then go for the real test knowing - and expecting - that you are negative of covid. Would/ Could be a game changer for us all...

We are going to Curacao next month, staying at Sunscape and diving with Ocean Encounters. We booked this trip in May 2021, and the guidelines for entry have not changed. We were hoping by now the requirements would have changed, but it's not going to make us cancel our trip. If you're not already a germaphobe from this pandemic, become one for the 2-3 weeks before your trip. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, wear an N95 mask, become a hermit and stay away from large crowds. Of course, that all goes out the window once you get on an airplane.

The testing to return is a us requirement and affects all international travel. If you are staying Sat to Sat, starting Wed you have to test to return to the US and that is a US requirement. Is this the test you are referring to?

If so, it's a risk you have to be willing and prepared to accept. What will you do and what do you have to do if you test positive for your return flight.

I would already have flight and accommodations booked. The midweek mandatory Covid test is the deal breaker. I
Book only what you can cancel last minute. Most airlines offer free changces. Maybe not full refund but credit. Same with hotels and lodging. I would not book anything that I could not change 24-48 hrs before.

If you're not already a germaphobe from this pandemic, become one for the 2-3 weeks before your trip. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, wear an N95 mask, become a hermit and stay away from large crowds.
Good advice. Although not required for our trip out of the country, we also tested 3 days before we took our trip just to make sure we were at least leaving home negative.

The testing to return is a us requirement and affects all international travel. If you are staying Sat to Sat, starting Wed you have to test to return to the US and that is a US requirement. Is this the test you are referring to?

If so, it's a risk you have to be willing and prepared to accept. What will you do and what do you have to do if you test positive for your return flight.
Not to high jack the thread but does anyone know how quickly the US required tests have been turning around? Our flight back is around 3 pm on Saturday and we’re planning on doing the Blue Room with Go West, which is Wednesday afternoon. Will Thursday afternoon suffice, or should we find a different charter with a different day? (CAN NOT do Thursday am since that is when Go West does Watamula. Please don’t tell the snorkelers going with us that Watamula is more important, Lol!)

Erik

As of right now it’s a series of 3 tests. One within 48 hours before leaving the US, one 3 days after arriving in Curaçao and one with 72 hours of returning home. Which means 2 tests within 1-2 days of each other.
Another option, if I’m understanding correctly, would be to go to St. Croix instead. I’ve heard that the territories are treated the same as the states when it comes to no tests required for flights.

We are, of course, hoping the COVID situation in Curacao improves and restrictions lessened for more than just our own, selfish interests, but we are also planning a dive trip in February / March. We are from the USA, both fully vaccinated and also both had COVID while on a remote island trying dive in Thailand in January, 2020.

Yes, know there is chance of a "break through" infection and resulting quarantine and/or medical expenses while in any overseas country, and have verified our insurance has coverage. We have been to both Curacao and Bonaire before, and love both islands. Had to cancel our 2021 Curacao trip, and hoping February will work out. ;-)

First of all, although the US Consulate and CDC say a PCR test is required, the official sources on the Curacao government sites say either PCR or Antigen tests are allowed. However, we are assuming that PCR tests have lower chance of a "false positive" than antigen tests, and therefore a low chance of being quarantined erroneously. Curacao entry restriction changes for US citizens now mean that a 48-hour vs. 72-hour testing window prior to arrival are in force, and for us, this makes PCR testing prior to departure MUCH more expensive. There are many free PCR tests for 72-hour turnaround in Florida, but for a 48-hour testing window, we have to pay about $200 (or more) EACH for "same-day" test results.

The continued testing requirement for returning to the US for citizens who are returning fully vaccinated is really ridiculous IMHO, but the CDC site says as long as it's a "viral test" (PCR or antigen), it's OK. Again, the PCR will have a lower chance of a false positive, according to the CDC. I don't know all the testing options, but this site is linked to the Curacao government website and I got costs from there:

COVID-19 Testing in Curaçao from AZOVA

COVID Testing - Rough Costs - US Citizen Couple Fully Vaccinated

USA => Curacao:
$200 x 2 = $400 (PCR test with less than 48 hour turnaround)

Curacao: $99 x 2 = $200 (Rapid antigen test) - Does not include cost of travel from other end of island, loss of dive day

Curacao => USA
: $179 x 2 = $358 (3-day PCR test) - Does not include cost of travel from other end of island, loss of dive day
  • Total COVID Testing Estimate: Roughly $1000 USD
We do want to go to Curacao, but unless some of the testing-associated costs go down on one end or the other, we may be forced to look for another destination for our February trip. It's a significant factor.

Johncn

I went in June, the 72 hour window is difficult only because reasonable cost PCR testing is only available near SFO (3hours away) but for $90 you get results in about 12 hours, 48 hours is not a hard goal to meet but couple that with the need to have the result to complete the PLC is gives a tighter schedule to line all the ducks up. As you fill out the paperwork you have to prepay that 3rd day test while there, $40. The return test was $20 at a local spot that was easy to find along the road.

right now we have a trip planned for February 11 to 19 staying at the same vrbo as In June
AF4E6434-D586-4D7D-9F8A-32EF8939E927.jpeg
F75E043E-DFBF-432D-BB7E-B8EFF71D55BB.jpeg
91ABE37F-37AC-42A8-BFE9-E468DDCD163F.jpeg
2AC11C8C-B51A-4151-852C-235413FF5716.jpeg

so much cheaper than a “resort and we get to eat at the ribs factory
A6B3050F-5DE2-4E58-923A-FC7510F29672.jpeg

all of the testing is a pain in the rear, I was hoping the vaccine would make things easier in June, didn’t so I’ll hold out hope for Feb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom