Frogman drysuit first impression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One year since I ordered the suit. Still chugging along. Even when I abuse it, diving doubles on the beach, throw it in the back of the trunk, don't have time to wash it, just stuff it into the bag. It takes abuse and keeps on going. One thing I wish I did-installing Kevlar knee pads. I didn't realize how much I kneel on the boat, beach, getting out of the water in the local dive park (concrete stairs). Or just near the car (when loading-unloading). It's purely esthetic but the cordura overlay seems to show signs of wear on the knees. Mind you, looks like it will take years for it to wear down. But it's the only area where you can see the wear on the suit. The only "maintenance" on the suit so far-replacing silicone seals. Photos by Keith Chu.
Frogman3.jpg
Frogman2.jpg
Frogman1.jpg

Nice! How much you got to pay for a suit like that, with knee pads?
Kevlar knee pads were not that much extra, have no idea why I didn't order those. The total suit cost will depend on the exchange rate at the time of purchase but should run you in the $1600-1800 range for a fully opted MTM Tech suit.

@stuartv i think you need to get another new drysuit to let us know how it stacks up :wink:

I might get another drysuit, but it won't be a Frogman. If I get one, it will be something my shop sells - so I can properly "represent". LOL I still haven't see anything in Vlad's reviews that would make me spend an extra $500 or whatever for a Frogman over a Seaskin.

I think Vlad just likes Russian stuff.

I did get Kevlar knee pads on my Seaskins, and I like them. :D

I might get another drysuit, but it won't be a Frogman. If I get one, it will be something my shop sells - so I can properly "represent". LOL I still haven't see anything in Vlad's reviews that would make me spend an extra $500 or whatever for a Frogman over a Seaskin.

I think Vlad just likes Russian stuff.

I did get Kevlar knee pads on my Seaskins, and I like them. :D
I have a Sea Skin too, it's a great suit for the money. It does feel a bit cheaper made when compared side by side with the likes of Santi e.Lite and DUI FLX Extreme. Or Frogman. Think kinda like comparing well made H&M garment with a brand name piece of clothing. H&M might look good and serve the purpose perfectly well. But it doesn't feel the same. That's the best comparison I have for it. That said, I have and often wear $5 t-shirts that feel great and look better than some $150 t-shirts I've had in the past. And, while I like Russian stuff, I only buy Russian things that represent a better value or quality. Or both. When compared to mainstream brands. Helium Dive Gear, for example, is at least as well made as Halcyon but is better value and is definitely better in few ways. Why would I pay more for Halcyon? Same thing with Frogman: it's as good as suits more than double the price and is better than anything I've seen in the 1.5x the price range. Why not get it? There are other Russian drysuit makers. Some more expensive, some cheaper. I wouldn't get those, they are not for me🤷‍♂️

I have a Sea Skin too, it's a great suit for the money.
I know. :)

Same thing with Frogman: it's as good as suits more than double the price and is better than anything I've seen in the 1.5x the price range. Why not get it?

Only one reason: Because something else is much less money and serves the purpose equally well. That would be my reason, anyway. I agree that the Santi E.lite+ does "feel" better. The material of the suit feels nicer to my fingers. That doesn't mean it works better. It doesn't mean it will hold up as well. One of the other instructors at my shop got an E.lite+ a few months ago, so time will tell. But, "it feels better" is not a reason I would spend all that extra money over something that feels fine (to me). If the Seaskin felt like sandpaper or was ridiculously stiff or something, that would be different. But it doesn't. It feels like Wranglers, instead of Lucky.

I know. :)

Only one reason: Because something else is much less money and serves the purpose equally well. That would be my reason, anyway. I agree that the Santi E.lite+ does "feel" better. The material of the suit feels nicer to my fingers. That doesn't mean it works better. It doesn't mean it will hold up as well. One of the other instructors at my shop got an E.lite+ a few months ago, so time will tell. But, "it feels better" is not a reason I would spend all that extra money over something that feels fine (to me). If the Seaskin felt like sandpaper or was ridiculously stiff or something, that would be different. But it doesn't. It feels like Wranglers, instead of Lucky.
With the current exchange rate at least, the frogman suit looks to be about 1500 dollars. So it’s more than your standard seaskin suit, but not significantly. For me at least, nothing could make a Santi suit worth the fact that it’s 300% more expensive. But if the frogman has nicer stitching, better fabric and pockets, and nicer styling, I would be willing to pay 20% more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom