DIR- Generic Lightweight backplate for tropical singles & twinsets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer a steel plate for Al80 singles and Al80 doubles diving in warm water, even though it adds a few pounds to travel weight. With a steel plate, and wearing only a thin 3/2 wetsuit, I need no extra lead to dive an Al80, although I may put a couple of 1 lb weights on the cambands for trim; those little trim weights don't make me "overweighted." With a steel plate, and using a drysuit with just a baselayer, I need no extra lead to dive double 80s in the Mexican caves. On my first Mexico cave trip I tried an aluminum plate and felt I was underweighted by maybe 2-4 lbs; it was uncomfortable holding depth at the end of the dive. I have a Halcyon aluminum plate but use it only for steel doubles with drysuit.
This is my setup as well. I only travel with my AL plate if I can't make weight in the steel. I have an old Halcyon 27# Pioneer wing that doesn't need/use an STA.

This is my setup as well. I only travel with my AL plate if I can't make weight in the steel. I have an old Halcyon 27# Pioneer wing that doesn't need/use an STA.
^ this.

Jam the SS plate in your backpack and carry it on the plane. I have an old Diverite plastic/ABS STA, with plastic buckles on the cam straps, it weights nothing. I just like the an STA.

I'll be diving single HP120s and double LP85s.
Not to pry, but out of curiosity, where in the tropics will you be diving double LP85s? I have seen a few outfits that rent HP120s, but double steel tanks?

Have a recommended wing for tropical diving? I'm looking at the Apeks WTX-D18 now.

My Mares 22 lb wing is OK for me on the surface when the wind/chop is up, but I wouldn't want anything smaller in such conditions. The stabilizer bars work well.

^^^This.

I had the 18lb apex wing, I loved it until I got my a55 kicked on the surface in rough conditions. I really wanted more lift that day.

YMMV

Not to pry, but out of curiosity, where in the tropics will you be diving double LP85s? I have seen a few outfits that rent HP120s, but double steel tanks?

Deep Exposure Dive Center in Cozumel. They have LP85 and AL80 twinsets. Aldora Divers in Cozumel also does HP100s and HP120s, but I don't think they do twinsets.

OMS soft stabilizing Adapter is what I use instead of a steel STA to save travel weight with my AL plate.

Deep Exposure Dive Center in Cozumel. They have LP85 and AL80 twinsets. Aldora Divers in Cozumel also does HP100s and HP120s, but I don't think they do twinsets.
I have dived with Aldora using their steel HP120s. I'm not familiar with Deep Exposure. I used a steel plate with the HP120s and was probably a bit overweighted even with my 5mm suit.

I use the DiveRite "lite" stainless backplate for tropical diving. It also works well for doubles. It should be used a STA, the DiveRite one is reasonably light. Depending on your wing, it might work without a STA, but possible wobble a little from side to side. You could probably fashion a simple lightweight STA with some PVC pipe. Plastic buckles on the cam bands weigh less than the stainless ones. Stainless Steel XT Lite Backplate - Dive Rite

what wing are you using? If it has a full STA on the Halcyon plate then you'll save as much weight by ditching the STA with a wing change than you will by moving to an AL or lightweight plate, it's only a 3lb weight savings...
H STA is one of the lightest, 1lb-1oz only. Eclipse30 wing is also one of the lightest most foldable wing. Easy to pack, and ditching STA(1lb) and going to another wing that is heavier will negate most the weight saving. I actually think eclipse wing is one of the best travel wing even if I need STA.

Going from SS to AL will save 3.5lb max. AL will be the same weight as Ti plate, most likely maybe even lighter because AL less dense to begin with. The plate is already very thin. Even with Ti, thickness cannot go much thinner. Ti can easily crack when too thin. But if you want the cool factor, I can understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom