Question Visual Inspection Expiration Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have NEVER filled a tank for customer when the VCI sticker indicated that it has been more than 12 months. If it said that the inspection was done in October of 2020, then the last day of September is the last day I'll fill it, no exceptions. I also never had a customer make any issues out of this matter. They are usually receptive to the program and will ask to have their tank vci'ed. My dive center was in a suburb of NYC.

If the customer, a regular customer, and they need to go diving immediately and their tank is out of VCI, I'll rent them a tank for a reduced rate (fill cost) and I'll do the VCI and it will be ready for them after their dive. From a potential liability point of view, I prefer to take the more conservative approach AND be consistant in following the rules.
And there's the problem...damn Yankess:D (edit: I wanted to add this was a joke)

Why not 5 weeks? What about 8, 9 or 14? Where does it stop?
I'm sure I'll get tared and feathered for this....

I elect 60... months. Exactly 5 years after hydro.

The reason we have VIP is because sh!tty compressors back in the day sucked (and the J valves that would let water in the tank... but that's all but gone). So because it was a liability they said let's do a VIP and charge for it, even though nowadays the "crud" that would be found in a scuba tank comes from the lds compressor in the 1st palce....... What? So you're charging me to check and see if your compressor is doing it's job?

Makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.

Can anyone link a tank that failed catostrophically in the last 15 years between hydro tests? I 100% understand the need to pop a valve to see every once in a while, but if the shops compressor is good then what's the point? (besides money of course).

I've also heard rumors of shops in the surrounding areas handing out VIP stickers to regular (read high paying) cutomers..... GASP!!:oops:

Interestingly enough, my VIP at the first year after requalification has uncovered a lousy drying job from when the hydro was done...

Interestingly enough, my VIP at the first year after requalification has uncovered a lousy drying job from when the hydro was done...
So surface rust?

12 months ... 12 months and 2 weeks ... 12 months a 3 weeks ... or 13 months. It's really irrelevant and an "extra" week or two isn't a safety issue.

In practice, inspectors will sticker the tank with the month/date that the tank is being inspected. Fill operators will then fill that tank through the end of the month 1 year from the sticker date. That is how it works in practice which is what the OP asked.

Has anyone EVER had their tank not filled if the VIP is due THAT MONTH? Let's say you go to get a fill today (10/29/21) your sticker is punched 10/2020. Any shop I've ever used will fill that tank. Most will let me know the VIP expires shortly. Next week they wouldn't fill that tank. They would require a new VIP first.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had a different experience.
Yes, I have had a tank not be filled because the VIP was due that month. I was pretty surprised and assumed there was some rule that I didn't know about. Using my example (I'm the OP), this shop would say the tank was due for VIP on June 1st.

Yes, I have had a tank not be filled because the VIP was due that month. I was pretty surprised and assumed there was some rule that I didn't know about. Using my example (I'm the OP), this shop would say the tank was due for VIP on June 1st.

I don't blame you.

As you see from this thread, there is no rule you didn't know about. Sounds like there are just some shops that like to rob you of a few weeks to a month of your VIP. As @Jim Lapenta indicated above, if you were to get a VIP today (10/29/21) and then you went back to the same shop a year from now and as of Oct 1 2022 they refuse to fill your tank, how would you feel? Essentially they sold you an 11 month VIP. They may argue it's for "safety" but that's complete BS. It's about writing the rules to benefit themselves.

Here in FL all the shops I'm aware of adhere to the last day of month on the sticker, not the first day.

FWIW, driver's licenses and car registrations also go by the end of the month. Selling an 11 month sticker and calling it "annual" is bogus, IMO.

I so much like that comparison!!! :thumb:

They are right and aren't the only ones.

Back
Top Bottom