Ferry luggage scam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been frustrated because, like some others, I prefer to keep my small rollaboard (that fits under an airline seat) with me on the ferry but for the last few years they've insisted I check it. From now on it has scuba gear in it.

Indeed, a direct flight into Cozumel is ideal, but that option is not available to me except on a seasonal basis (late fall-early spring). Having said that, it is still possible to fly directly to Cozumel if I connect in the U.S. (Houston, Dallas, Miami, maybe Atlanta) but that entails many more hours of transit, another layer of Immigration/Customs rigamarole, and the hassle of missed connections, wayward luggage.........

Flying directly into Cancun, and doing the bag drag is actually the least circuitous option; saving $$$ is not the driving force in my choice.
Yes, coming from Toronto only option is to fly into Cancun and bag drag except when we get those few months with direct flights

Small world! I remember meeting you after cooling down from the same scam attempt. We were on the same ferry with you that day and the same dude tried to get me to pay extra for "overweight bags" despite them coming under the 50 lb limit to get them on the flight.

Yes, coming from Toronto only option is to fly into Cancun and bag drag except when we get those few months with direct flights
We choose the bag drag over connecting in Houston in late Aug. Far preferable to having to get an extra set of Covid tests, extra immigration and one fewer crowded airport to navigate. The trip PDC in a private van was quite civilized and a first class ticket on the Ultramar ferry meant a more comfortable and far less crowded ferry. The only concern, when we went, was Ida but she turned north just in time.

Bribe.
They wanted a bribe.

Anytime you run into a situation like this anywhere in the world, pull out your wallet. It's how the world works -- especially the Third World.

In America, bribes are just called "political donations" but they're the same thing.

I'll test them tomorrow :)

If they give me a hard time, I'll just drop ScubaNY's name :)

S
You better leave your Louis Vuitton luggage at home.
said they never heard of you?

Arrived alive without incident. Though awfully hot and humid here!

74 my a$$! At midnight, its in the 80's🤪

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom