Question Easy Peasy Cozumel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’d like an easy peasy vacation experience on Cozumel, something like a live aboard (but on land). Dive-eat-sleep readily available with little to no extra effort. Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts?

Frugal or Splurgy?

ok. here we go. AirBnB out of El Centro but still walkable to restaurants and stuff. Look up on AirBnB and then locate place on google maps to determine how far you are willing to walk. We rented an entire 3 bedroom house with a beautiful backyard for $60 per night. Easy walk to Mega and Chedraui as well as El Centro. If you are going solo, you can find clean but simple places for around $25 per night.

You will probably be taking a cab to the marina each morning but if you walk down to the main drag, shouldn't cost you more than $4 each way. Cabs are always waiting at the marina to bring you back.

Pretty much anyone you dive with is going to charge $90 for a two tank trip. I dive with Pelagic Ventures because there is never more than 6 people on a boat and they are just awesome people to dive with.

Eat at neighborhood taquerias and street carts. Yes, its safe and super delicious. Dinner for two people without alcohol should run you about $15 to $20 tops. Go to a Patisseria for breakfast or just buy pastries and bread at Chedraui. Cook meals at home and save even more.

Dive-eat-sleep readily available with little to no extra effort
My trip to Iberostar and diving with the onsite operator Dresser was just as you describe. Very short boat rides being in the south. Quick buffet during lunch surface interval, then back to the dock. 4 dives per day, sometimes 5 w/ night. The sites are predetermined (as are the nights), which may appeal to you or not. Not sure about frugality - was $1100 for airfare/lodging/food [Eta: 7 night stay] and $600 total for 12 day dives, 2 night dives (incl. nitrox, marine park & hyperbaric chamber fees). I later added more dives at $50 ea. Food was eh, but I was there to dive, dive, dive!

In summary, super EASY and plentiful diving. I highly recommend wearing scuba socks (or even thin dress socks) to avoid chafing under your boots. Small groups (4-6, though I think 8 is the max per guide). Air hogs ascended and followed the guide's DSMB while others continued at depth.

My trip to Iberostar and diving with the onsite operator Dresser was just as you describe. Very short boat rides being in the south. Quick buffet during lunch surface interval, then back to the dock. 4 dives per day, sometimes 5 w/ night. The sites are predetermined (as are the nights), which may appeal to you or not. Not sure about frugality - was $1100 for airfare/lodging/food and $600 total for 12 day dives, 2 night dives (incl. nitrox, marine park & hyperbaric chamber fees). I later added more dives at $50 ea. Food was eh, but I was there to dive, dive, dive!

In summary, super EASY and plentiful diving. I highly recommend wearing scuba socks (or even thin dress socks) to avoid chafing under your boots. Small groups (4-6, though I think 8 is the max per guide). Air hogs ascended and followed the guide's DSMB while others continued at depth.

How many days / nights did that include? It sounds like three days / 4 nights. is that correct?

@BoundForElsewhere - Was 7 nights. Direct flights from Denver, Sat to Sat.

That's not a bad deal. My usual cost without airfare (NYC has been around $300 return, these days) is usually around $1,500.

Regarding frugal, hotels seem to be MUCH cheaper if you go through the dive operator. Plus easier as well. (I discovered that trick a little too late the last time I stayed in town and used Salty Endeavors -- good op, BTW.) The easiest, though, is to have your buddy arrange everything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom