Hollis Mod-1 Pod Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McLovinIt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys. Just wondering about the function of the Hollis Mod 1 pod.

I lost most of my teeth in an accident a few months ago and have dentures now (implants next year). The reg in my mouth simply sucks!

I've tried to research this, but haven't found too much detailed info on this pod. I've always dived normal second stages.

My assumption is that my reg (Hollis 212) mounts into the pod and the pod then straps around my neck/head and seals around my mouth/face and I just breath like wearing a full face mask??

Is it that simple, or am I wishfully thinking here??

Thanks for the help!!
Shane

I lost most of my teeth in an accident a few months ago and have dentures now (implants next year). The reg in my mouth simply sucks!

I've tried to research this, but haven't found too much detailed info on this pod. I've always dived normal second stages.

My assumption is that my reg (Hollis 212) mounts into the pod and the pod then straps around my neck/head and seals around my mouth/face and I just breath like wearing a full face mask??

Thanks for the help!!
Shane
The Hollis Mod 1 Pod is a rebreather-specific accessory for the Kirby Morgan M48/Super Mask and M48-Mod 1 series semi-fullface masks.

Super Mask with standard SCUBA Pod:
dsi-super-mask-without-2nd-stage.jpg

M48 Mod 1 with no pod installed:
hollis-mod-1-w-o-pod.jpg

M48 Mod 1 with Hollis Rebreather Pod:
mod2.png

The KM M48 series masks have a"full-face" frame with an upper section with an eye/nose mask and a lower section to which you can attach various breathing pods. the pods can be quickly popped off/on for gas-switches, surface breathing, etc. and you can still use a reg directly if there is no pod in place (see middle picture).

If you look carefully at the top picture you can see a clear silicone band. That is an extended mouthpiece which replaces the one on your regulator when attached to the pod. Ideally, all you need is a lip seal since the weight of the reg is held by the pod in the frame. You can also purge the pod area and breathe open-mouthed if the the mask seals well to your face.

TL,DR you really can't use any of the pods without one of the masks.

Thanks for the help!!
Shane

When I was a child a drunk driver hit my mom and me relieving both of us of our front teeth. So I understand. I have an early type implant that has ceramic caps installed. I feel your pain because a single hose regulator can cause pain as it tends to pry out on my upper teeth.

You have two soultions:

1. Get the Aqua Lung type mouthpiece that has rthe bridge in the top to support the weight instead of your teeth or get one of the moldable types with the long bite.

2. Join the Clan of the Double Hose! The double hose mouthpiece tends to float upward rather than sink like a single hose second stage. And the mouthpiece is lighter, even the DSV types.

But with the Kraken currently NA, you have choice number 1. If you do not have the Aqua Lung mouthpiece or a copy of it with the bridge support, get one and see if that helps you out.

James

Thanks JD! Good info to have!

Thanks too, Nimrod! The Kraken reg looks like what I need! Was very impressed with a review video. Mouth felt better just watching it! Are they hard to find or just not manufactured anymore?

Thanks again, guys! I appreciate the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom