Trimix instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One I've used is a well known and published author who's excellent and I'd recommend him at the drop of a hat. The thing is, I like his style; others don't.

What about his style? What is it?

(I think that I know who you are talking about knowing that you and him are in the UK. I am contemplating taking some training with him when the circumstances allow it)

He's great IMHO. Calm and well explained -- like his online lectures. He is pretty strict so be careful when working with other divers that might not have the skills to, for example, maintain buoyancy during a gas switch. He's very much after people who can manage the situation and help others; team work. He can, if he chooses, set some very tough lessons. Very fair and doesn't give away certifications but also develops you.

I would have done my MOD1 & 2 with him but it's a Revo! So used another instructor whom I was very happy with.

(or was that kardatitions, whatever the heck they are).
Kardashians. Those annoying idiots that make alot of money for doing nothing of substance other than posting photos. Maybe that doesn't translate overseas

Kardashians. Those annoying idiots that make alot of money for doing nothing of substance other than posting photos. Maybe that doesn't translate overseas
Yeah, Klingons. Apparently toilet tissue wipes them away :eek:

Are Harry and Me-again honorary Lardassians? Certainly spout enough bollox to fill a bucket with.

A bit too generalised; there's a normal distribution here where some are really excellent, some are OK and some are Klingons (or was that kardatitions, whatever the heck they are).
Eh not sure there's a normal or bell shaped distribution of any instructor corps. Most are mediocre (on a good day), there's a huge pool of dreadful, and there are a rare few who are exceptional.

In my experience the "famous" ones, doing all the chest pounding on social media and elsewhere, are never exceptional teachers - a profession which requires a higher than average degree of humility.

Also ask if your instructor is diving at or above the level you are training for on a regular basis for fun. If they aren’t I’m not interested. How much variety, challenging and personal growth do they expose themselves to? If they only dive when being paid…pass for me.

As you are from NY you can benefit from Bob Sherwood being close to you. He is in upstate - near Alexandria. He is an excellent instructor he teaches GUE courses but might also be teaching through other agencies. I did my Trimix with him and can highly recommend him. There are also few deep great sites in St Lawrence river that are used as checkout dives sites.

@LandonL is a great trimix instructor and has ideal conditions (IMO) in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida.

He’ll start the course with “Why do you want to take this course?”

Next you’ll do a dryland skills self-assessment straight out of the coursebook and discuss it together.

Next he’ll review the course standards. Tom Mount’s philosophy on chakras not required.

Then you’ll head to shallow water (shore dive) for an actual skills inventory and any remediation. I spent time learning a skill I didn’t get in my AN/DP course and cleaning up another skill.

Then it’s on to academics-dive-academics-dive. I’m a hard copy course book guy. Landon is flexible and can handle both old school and eLearning students.

You’ll do a lot of hard work on the shallow shore dives. I think his approach is sound. Work out all the bugs where risk is low, you can surface easily if there are real problems, you’re not burning boat gas and your back gas lasts forever. The capstone boat and wreck dives cost a lot of money. It’s no fun to be on a deep dive checking out a black tip shark prowling about knowing that you have four or five failure drills to get through. Landon doesn’t task saturate you in the deep like he does in the shallow work. You’ll still get air gunned for a few problems to validate all the skills you trained on during shore dives. But you won’t be facing a mountain of failures because you will have done those in shallow water. Better to sweat in peace (drill after drill in shallow water) than bleed in war (fail at basics on an expensive boat dive).

Aquí Water Sports (Landon’s shop) banks He so no messing about with shop-to-shop logistics.

Landon has a great relationship with Jimmy Gadomski and ScubaTyme that is right down the street from Aquí Water Sports. Jimmy is an accomplished technical wreck diver and instructor so he knows where to drop you and understands everything about your profile.

Clear water and wrecks are great. Lots to explore on the wrecks. Bluewater deco while drifting gets lots of ominous press…not sure why. Shoot balloon, hold stop, stare into space, check buddies, solve world problems in your head, sort out debrief notes, decompress to schedule.

Lots of hip little hotels and eateries in the area. Book in advance. Hotel pickings are slim on short notice.

SoFlo — hands on the clock can be a little bendy. Great Italian coffee shop up the street to kill time.

LOL! Thanks I needed that. Spit my coffee through my nose this morning,

Been considering moving into trimix, but haven't figured out which instructor to go with. Which made me wonder what the big names are in deep technical diving.
As an example for cave diving you have Edd Sorrenson, Jill Heinerth, Brian Kakuk; wreck diving has John Chatterton; sidemount has Andy Davis, Steve Martin
(btw this is by no means a comprehensive list, just an illustration, and also some names like Edd could also fit under sidemount, plus am not considering any geographical constraints here).

Is there anyone like that for deep dives or would you end up with any of the likes above? In the end, trimix diving is just another tool and not related to any specific diving type (e.g. cave, wreck etc.). Also am not considering rebreather here yet, thinking being that that will mostly be constrained by which system I end up going with if/when I decide to do so.

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of your post. Of course there are "big names" in deep technical training just as there are in cave training and, from what you say, sidemount training (an area I know nothing about). But what's the point? Rarely are the "big names" also good instructors. Some are, most are not. Most of their students train with them for the "Wow" factor and to post on social media that they trained with so and so.

Something else to consider. More and more of the trimix diving is done on rebreathers. Open circuit trimix is prohibitively expensive, logistically challenging, and seems to be fading out fast. Rightfully so. If you are truly interested in doing serious trimix diving, you might want to look at moving to a rebreather first. If you're not looking to do serious trimix diving, than why are you looking to train on trimix at all?

Captain Tom McCarthy is up in/around Long Island -- The website for his boat Is Located Here.

I have known Tom many years and can heartily recommend him as a trimix instructor up in your neck of the woods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom