Learning the TG-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a new problem. I keep getting a "card error." Only happens when I am underwater. I can surface and shoot fine. Go back down, often depth in the 15-20ft range, or less, and get the error. Dang nab it!
It happened again Friday afternoon. I was shooting, all was good. max depth 14ft. Shot a dozen or so photos then I suddenly get a card error. Surface, drop back down. nope. Surface. drop back down. nada. Ended up playiing with my buddies go pro rest of dive.
After the dive buddy says that sometimes the card gets shifted and a buddy of his had that same problem, and shook the camera and fixed the problem
Fast forward to today. Dive 1 fine. Dive two, I get the error. Dang. Shake camera. Fine continue..

I've had a new problem. I keep getting a "card error." Only happens when I am underwater. I can surface and shoot fine. Go back down, often depth in the 15-20ft range, or less, and get the error. Dang nab it!
Is it housed? If it's bare, then water squeezing on the body can shift some contacts and cause it to lose connection with the card - I've seen reports of this happening when bare TG cameras exceeding their rated depth, and your sample might have some defect that causes the problem to manifest even in the shallows.
In general, it's not the best idea to dive with TG cameras sans housing - while they are nominally waterproof, their seals are thin, finicky and fragile, to the point where Olympus recommends replacing them yearly. It's best to treat them as insurance against housing floods, not as the first line of defense.

I love diving it without the housing. So easy and small to carry... I know I need to get a housing. Looking at options other than the Olympus housing..

Ikelite has one, and seafrogs. I think that's the name. Good reviews from what I've read.
Both Ikelite and seafrogs also have the 67mm ring, and I have a couple Inon diopters, and a WA lens..

There's nothing wrong with the Oly housing - it is weighted to be perfectly neutrally buoyant. If you have M67 accessories you can always get an M52 to M67 step up ring to attach to the Oly housing.

BTW diopters are not much use on the TG-6. Diopters work by allowing you to focus closer but the TG-6 already focuses just about on the front element of the lens. All they can do is allow you to get microscope mode close without switching to microscope mode. There may be some advantage to this as it will allow you to remain in A mode while focusing microscope mode close. You would need to test to make sure the diopter is not too powerful for the close focusing lens you have.
On the card problem, first thing I would do is try a different card.

Changing out the card is the next option.
But for now, the shaking the camera seems to work. Also cleaned the contacts with a qtip and alcohol

Changing out the card is the next option.
But for now, the shaking the camera seems to work. Also cleaned the contacts with a qtip and alcohol
I will say that on my TG-5 that I got the warning just before it died. I'm not sure what killed it, but Olympus repair replaced it.

Hi Jenny
I dive the tg4 in housing with a sea and sea strobe and a fantasea tray and light love it 4 yrs now
Becky dives a tg4 open or in housing with a fantasea light and tray
I like the housing makes the buttons easier to control and chk out the custom mode thats my go to.

I have the Kraken housing for my TG-6. Built like a tank with built in auto vacuum pump.

Back
Top Bottom