Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I <3 the Cayman Islands. I lived there when I was in fifth grade, have several friends there, and usually try to get there once or twice a year. However, the devil is in the details on the re-opening.

"Panton said vaccinated travellers from countries where at least 60% of the population had received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine would not be required to quarantine upon arrival in Cayman. Also, passengers from countries with less than a 60% inoculation rate but who can provide electronically verifiable documentation that they had been vaccinated can also forego quarantine."

That will likely rule out many American travelers.

I was fully vaccinated with Moderna vaccine by the beginning of March, I am now a little over two weeks following a booster. Being from Pennsylvania, all I have is my vaccine card.

I went to Colombia and dived at Malpelo in July. I am currently in Bonaire with my wife for two weeks. If the Cayman Islands will only accept electronically verified vaccine status, screw 'em. They can find someone else to help them to recover from the pandemic. I have been to Grand Cayman 10 times, Little Cayman twice, Cayman Brac once, and on the Cayman Aggressor V once. No good reason for me to make my 15th trip, plenty of other great places to visit. Besides, I hear they have their hands full with stony coral tissue loss disease.

Panton said vaccinated travellers from countries where at least 60% of the population had received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine would not be required to quarantine upon arrival in Cayman. Also, passengers from countries with less than a 60% inoculation rate but who can provide electronically verifiable documentation that they had been vaccinated can also forego quarantine."

That will likely rule out many American travelers.

The US has had a 1 dose rate over 60% since August. Right now that rate is sitting at just under two thirds.

I was fully vaccinated with Moderna vaccine by the beginning of March, I am now a little over two weeks following a booster. Being from Pennsylvania, all I have is my vaccine card.

I went to Colombia and dived at Malpelo in July. I am currently in Bonaire with my wife for two weeks. If the Cayman Islands will only accept electronically verified vaccine status, screw 'em. They can find someone else to help them to recover from the pandemic. I have been to Grand Cayman 10 times, Little Cayman twice, Cayman Brac once, and on the Cayman Aggressor V once. No good reason for me to make my 15th trip, plenty of other great places to visit. Besides, I hear they have their hands full with stony coral tissue loss disease.
Likewise, we've opted for an alternate destination and will reevaluate going to Grand Cayman next year. We've been their a dozen times. Cozumel flights recently opened up and that's where we're headed to.

Michigan does not offer any digital verified vaccine QR code either. However, in the past month, our hospital system implemented Smart QR Codes in their MyChart by Epic system so we now have access to the Smart Digital Health QR code. I've got it on paper as well as on my phone.

I get the impression that the Cayman Islands are reconsidering this requirement and may just accept a CDC card at some point.

In addition to electronic proof, what are the government’s Covid test requirements for entry?

Will be interesting to see how soon the resorts can ramp up with staff to accomodate this “rapid” opening.

I suspect various health care systems will be more likely to offer electronic records than the states because of all the politics around it. They may not advertise it well, I discovered I had this ironically by seeing the list that Cayman was going to accept. So it’s worth checking.

STEP Notifications <00000002837efc59-dmarc-request@calist.state.gov> Unsubscribe​

3:35 PM (32 minutes ago)
to ACS_CAYMAN_ISLANDS

Reconsider to the Cayman Islands due to COVID-19-related restrictions.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the Cayman Islands due to COVID-19 indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC's specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into the Caymans. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in the Cayman Islands.

Read the country information page.

Same as Mexico, Turks and Caicos, Belgium, Italy, Norway and countless other countries that I would not worry about traveling to...

STEP Notifications <00000002837efc59-dmarc-request@calist.state.gov> Unsubscribe​

3:35 PM (32 minutes ago)
to ACS_CAYMAN_ISLANDS

Reconsider to the Cayman Islands due to COVID-19-related restrictions.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the Cayman Islands due to COVID-19 indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC's specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into the Caymans. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in the Cayman Islands.

Read the country information page.
Thnx very interesting

Under the same metric USA would be level 4.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the Cayman Islands due to COVID-19 indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country.
What I want to know is how that 'high level' in the Cayman Islands compares to the level here in the United States. If we're worse, as tkaelin suggests, maybe they ought to issue a new advisory for U.S. travelers...

Go when you can; it's safer than staying here.

Of course, I imagine when the U.S. President and CDC Director caught wind of that, heads would roll...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom