Coldwater diver with some basic BM tec training, looking to enter world of SM, need BC advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Shibe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, I am a PNW diver with some basic tec training (Tec45) and am looking to enter the world of side mount. All my dives will be conducted in OW, nothing deeper than 45m, nothing with a physical overhead (cave, wreck, etc). My main reasons are to try and alleviate back pain from an old non-diving lifting injury and to just try out something new.

My current set up for tec is drysuit with twinset steel HP 100s with one or two AL40 deco bottles. I'm still working out if I like both deco bottles on one side (I know this is the "correct" way) or one on each (this is what my instructor taught me). I use an aluminum backplate and a 6lb v weight. My current rec set up is steel backplate w/ 8lbs of weight on my waist and an HP 117.

I've done some basic research and think I've narrowed it down to either the xDeep Tec BC or Hollis Katana 2, both single bladder and leaning more towards the Hollis as it's easier to purchase and service where I am. I am looking for a relatively straightforward SM set up without too much DIY. I don't need the BC to be multipurpose (able to do single BM, twin BM, and SM), just side mount. Are those two options a good fit for me?

My plan is to also unpair my twinset so I'll have a pair HP 100s with left and right hand valves and to just buy some different length hoses.

Can you guys weigh in on my "planned" setup? Is it more or less good to go or will I end up having a bad time? I am currently in the process of looking for a local sidemount course but so far that hasn't panned out. If there are any Seattle instructors teaching sidemount, please let me know!

You can’t go wrong with either. I tried both and I personally like the K2 better. The harness on the XDeep is better but I don the wing of the K2 superior, especially with a dry suit.

The shoulder dump is clutch for me. Also the wing on the K2 is a bit smaller and more streamlined. I also dive with 2x HP 100 and deco bottle from time to time.

You will be happy with wirher option. As long as you can easily reach your dump valves!

Reactions: MIT
The XDeep seems very popular.

I looked around for a suitable sidemount harness and came to the conclusion that the XDeep tec was the one for me. Works fine once it's been tweaked.

They need a lot of setting up, fiddling and tweaking and this that and the other. It really helps to have someone show you the sorts of things you need to do. This is where the instructor earns their corn. They should get you all sorted out and looking great in the water.

You can do this yourself if you like a challenge. Just takes longer. There seems to be endless scope for fiddling with them.

I found a big butt pouch works best. Can get a couple of SMBs connected to spools in there (for open water diving).

I have XDeep Stealth 2.0 tec, buttplate, 12l steels, drysuit and I'm very happy with the setup. If you are very short or small then the 2.0 tec might be a bit too large, for others it has lot of adjustments and can be fit to most. I don't use the buttplate for cylinders, just like to attach spool or other stuff there because it's so easy to find and use with thick gloves.
Have never seen katana but probably as good as stealth. Anyway it will take some time and number of dives to get everything in place no matter which one you choose. When you get everything in place it's just so stable and balanced feeling.
Some say that sidemount is hard to handle out of water. I use double enders and piece of cord on the bottle neck so I can carry my equipment and do the bungees in water, I can climb ladders and jump from pier just fine.
Which ever bc you choose, it will be very comfortable after you get everything in place.

@Scuba Shibe

Unfortunately, there are not many good sidemount instructors in the Puget Sound area. There's actually only one: Don Pierce, owner of Off The Hook Diving (https://offthehookdiving.com/). I'm not aware of anyone that comes close to teaching at his level.

Hello all, I am a PNW diver with some basic tec training (Tec45) and am looking to enter the world of side mount. All my dives will be conducted in OW, nothing deeper than 45m, nothing with a physical overhead (cave, wreck, etc). My main reasons are to try and alleviate back pain from an old non-diving lifting injury and to just try out something new.

My current set up for tec is drysuit with twinset steel HP 100s with one or two AL40 deco bottles. I'm still working out if I like both deco bottles on one side (I know this is the "correct" way) or one on each (this is what my instructor taught me). I use an aluminum backplate and a 6lb v weight. My current rec set up is steel backplate w/ 8lbs of weight on my waist and an HP 117.

I've done some basic research and think I've narrowed it down to either the xDeep Tec BC or Hollis Katana 2, both single bladder and leaning more towards the Hollis as it's easier to purchase and service where I am. I am looking for a relatively straightforward SM set up without too much DIY. I don't need the BC to be multipurpose (able to do single BM, twin BM, and SM), just side mount. Are those two options a good fit for me?

My plan is to also unpair my twinset so I'll have a pair HP 100s with left and right hand valves and to just buy some different length hoses.

Can you guys weigh in on my "planned" setup? Is it more or less good to go or will I end up having a bad time? I am currently in the process of looking for a local sidemount course but so far that hasn't panned out. If there are any Seattle instructors teaching sidemount, please let me know!
You are a sidemount diver. You will have one bottom gas cylinder on each side.
And now you want to carry TWO more cylinders on the left hand side?

You have two sidemounted bottom gas cylinders. The two deco cylinders either need to be on top of them or under your belly, one on each side. It would be utterly stupid though to put them on the same side, and this is why: If you carry more weight on one side, you must compensate for that with muscle power (one leg gets more tired). This will give you muscle cramps.

Just my opinion.

PS. the "correct" way - FOR WHAT?

You have two sidemounted bottom gas cylinders. The two deco cylinders either need to be on top of them or under your belly, one on each side. It would be utterly stupid though to put them on the same side, and this is why: If you carry more weight on one side, you must compensate for that with muscle power (one leg gets more tired). This will give you muscle cramps.

Just my opinion.

I’m with him. TWO deco bottles on one side? Yeah, you’re mad.

Just my opinion.

I’m with him. TWO deco bottles on one side? Yeah, you’re mad.

He means with backmount.
Generally I believe GUE and a few others ask you to take your bailout/stage bottles on the left side, so the right side is a working side.
A little off topic.
If sidemount instructors are difficult to find around you, you could pop up to Vancouver.

He means with backmount.
Generally I believe GUE and a few others ask you to take your bailout/stage bottles on the left side, so the right side is a working side.
A little off topic.
If sidemount instructors are difficult to find around you, you could pop up to Vancouver.
Yes, but GUE does backmount diving where there is ample space on the sides and the wing is of a doughnut or horse shoe format and both bottom gas regs come from the right. None of this is true in sidemount generally.

Compliance without understanding comes with some risks.

ps. I do not know much about backmount doubles diving as I haven't used such a kit.

He means with backmount.
A little off topic.
Yes, I was referring to my backmount set up.

Out of curiosity, if one is doing a tec dive with SM and you have one bottom gas cylinder on each side and one deco bottle per side, isn't the right shoulder D ring too crowded to clip off stuff? Like your reg, light, any double enders you may be using, etc? And is it very difficult to reach your thigh pockets with that many bottles?

Back
Top Bottom