Trip Report COVID-Delayed God's Pocket Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Our annual trip to God's Pocket was a bit more difficult this year. Delayed a year because of the pandemic, we were only allowed into Canada if we were fully vaccinated and had a negative COVID test within 72 hours of travel. We also had to get a negative test to return to the U.S. The Border Patrol agent at the Vancouver airport even tried to get us to pay a tariff for our camera housings. Merry dealt with him until he let us slide. It was as if we were trying to get into Cabo San Lucas.

Masks were required inside the dive boat, and we had to show proof of vaccination and drivers' license to go into the restaurants in Port Hardy. Other than that, most things were familiar. There were some improvements made to the resort since our last visit. Water pressure and plenty of hot water in the shower were a great surprise. A new membrane system on the boat provided consistent 32% nitrox in every fill. We didn't have to haul several K-bottles up the ramp after the trip.

The crew was excellent. Captain Al is the most experienced captain, having trained many of our previous captains. Suze was the hardest working Divemaster/Deck Boss I've met. We never had to wait for our cameras or the elevator. Sage and Amber kept the resort running while we enjoyed the reefs. Meals were not what we were accustomed to at God's Pocket, but my palate was expanded. I'd never eaten kale, bull kelp, or Spätzle before.

We had rain-soaked dives the first week. Swells and wind kept us from reaching the further sites, but we found plenty at the old familiar ones. The second week had a bit of wind, enough to cancel our boat dives on the final day. Al and Suze worked the elevator while we made day dives in God's Pocket Bay, another treat.

I went hiking to Harlequin Bay during one of the rare breaks between the rain. After returning from the bay in record time, I decided to continue on the trails to the west end of God's Pocket Bay. The trails were washed out in a few areas and I missed the switchback to the resort trail. I spent the next two hours climbing the upper trail three times before finally finding my way home. I was hot, muddy, and embarrassed when I got back to our room.

More photos at God's Pocket 2021

51623082133_aed9e47d9a_b.jpg

51629544948_9d690cce47_b.jpg

51630171865_e120e43c71_b.jpg

51629322296_dfbbdd659f_b.jpg

51629316231_b13596859b_b.jpg

51630162980_1fe3bb7f9a_b.jpg

51629313941_f27f32c348_b.jpg

51629950384_117a6f59a2_b.jpg

51629523873_65939331e1_b.jpg

51630142555_2488dceffd_b.jpg

51629287146_373d1604b0_b.jpg

51630141915_ddc513c252_b.jpg

51630126230_e58387433c_b.jpg

51629505043_34e62f2f76_b.jpg

51629503643_16cf8bdf42_b.jpg

51629917174_12791794f4_b.jpg

What was the water temperature at depth? Did you fly with a packed drysuit?

That last nudibranch picture is to die for. Sorry the trip wasn't ideal, but glad you made it there and back safe and sound. We enjoyed having the trail maps on our Decent MKII's to help lead us back from our hike, it's super easy to get lost/turned around on the island!

Reactions: Xta
Great trip report. I visited there last in the 90's and I have been thinking about going back. Your tale inspires me to make it happen.

Glad you had a good time at God's Pocket! Even if you couldn't dive off the boat much. I really enjoyed the food Sage prepared this time around. I loved the pickled bull kelp!

Like Insomniac told you above, we were grateful for that we brought my Garmin MK2I on our hike, as we used the tiny map to bring us back to the resort!

I'd love to see the set up of how you get your great shots of the nudi's on the black stage. So cool!!

I use a seven inch scrying mirror (polished obsidian) as a stage. I waft the nudis/snails from the substrate, then catch them with the stage. I rest the end of a flat port on the edge of the stage, point upward to get a black background, and usually have the strobes pointed inward toward the housing handles at 1/4 to 1/2 power. Having the port within an inch or two from the subject eliminates most of the backscatter possibilities.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Some amazing photos! Thanks for sharing some of your technique for getting them. Given that you're traveling to dive (as opposed to just taking advantage of local diving), and God's Pocket is a cold water destination demanding substantial exposure protection (e.g.: dry suits), what specifically draws you to go back there? Is there a particular type of underwater life you like to see?

I equate it to California diving on steroids. The color on the walls rivals tropical sites. The wolfeels have basketball size heads. Octopus the size of a motorcycle. To top it all off, the boat has an elevator!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom