NITROX CERTIFICATION PROTOCOLS - REAL WORLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's your life. If just go with the crowd you cant depend on the crowd to go to your funeral. You probably have been taught to check all of your equipment pre and post dive. The main piece of equipment you need to always check is your thinking. The one time I didn't not analyze my nitrox( and I had my own analyzer) I did a 12 hour chamber ride. That ride could have been because of several factors but since I "trusted" but didn't verify I could not rule out a bad mix as causing my chamber trip. Fortunately I had DAN dive insurance( worth every penny). And don't skip the deco stops.

I knew the other divers in the group were using NITROX because their tanks had GREEN nitox labels, and we discussed at great length, the immense value of diving with NITROX.
I just want to clarify one thing. The reason you knew they were using Nitrox is from the discussion you had with them. The presence or lack of the Nitrox label means nothing.

The big green and yellow Nitrox label means absolutely nothing. None of my tanks have that label. They all have a VIP sticker with the O2 clean box punched. That one only means that it might contain EAN. It could still be filled with air.

I test all my tanks when I get them filled. My name is on the tank, so I just affix a label with the O2% on it. When I get them home, I also attach another piece of tape around the DIN dust cover to the valve. This is an indication to me that the tank is full. Depending on who I’m diving with, I can often get two dives out of a tank. So lack of that dust cover seal indicates to me that the tank is not full. When the tank is empty, or nearly so, I also remove the mix label. That means it’s not going to be used and needs to go for a fill.

I’ll just throw out there that in my short time diving (three years and 61 dives), I’ve received multiple tanks that were off by a lot (5% or more). I.e. Asked for 30% and got 40%, asked for 32% and received 25%, etc. You do you, but I’ll continue testing my tanks.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the need to calibrate the 02 unit first. The LDS that I dive out of has a tank of 20.9% sitting right below where the analyzer hangs on the wall. You first MUST test that tank of 21% and set the analyzer to read 21% - then test your tanks and label them.

Just back from Egypt where three of us requested Nitrox for diving the Thistlegorm on a day boat.

We were told that we could get 32% but no analyser would be available on the boat to check, so we declined and dived air for the first dive and used Nitrox for the second dive that we brought from Dahab and had analysed ourselves.

I had planned to bring my own analyser on the trip but the sensor was going wonky and I didn't have enough time to order a new one before I left. I won't do that again!

Recently at my LDS where I always have 34 and 40% fills I've ended up with 30-32% and 37-38% checking with two (different makes) analysers.

I have various gases at my disposal and use two different analysers (one also does trimix) and always calibrate the analyser before using it.

What analyzer did you end up goign with, and what is your experience with it, if you bought one?

I ended up going with the 02Ell PRO. Here in Puerto Vallarta, where I live and dive, most LDS don't bother with NITROX. I guess they don't get the demand for it, so they don't even offer it...and I've asked.

One LDS I dive with does offer NITROX. It was the very LDS where I got certified. Since their trips are pretty expensive, I don't dive with them often, but I did use NITROX once. The analyzer worked flawlessly...I guess. LOL...One thing I didn't do was calibrate it first with an 02 tank. But, I asked for 32% and it registered 32%...I confess, I definitely want more practice, not only diving NITROX but analyzing as well...Just, not a lot of opportunity...

BUT ALL THE ADVICE I RECEIVED HERE, HIT HOME!!!! TRUST NO ONE. TAKE NO ONE'S WORD. DISREGARD ALL LABELS UNTIL TESTED IN MY PRESENCE! ***Advice I can live with***

Attachments

• B0CB5359-1D09-4B0F-806F-5607A13770F1.png
    B0CB5359-1D09-4B0F-806F-5607A13770F1.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 50
One question. Can I CALIBRATE my analyzer with any 02 tank on the boat -- before I test my EANx tank?

A vast majority seem to calibrate on ambient air. But you can also use any air tank or known pure oxygen sources. For best results calibration gas should be metered at whatever rate your tester is designed for, and should be the same temperature and humidity as your testing gas.

Ambient air. I've heard that. OK. So, just open up my analyzer and wait until it hits 20.9%...

Something I need to get used to...and I've bitched about this before...and I've gotten criticized for it, and RIGHTLY SO -- On a dive trip, everybody is so rushed. So harried. So busy with tanks, equipment, fitting people for gear, registering guests, filling out paperwork, getting the boat ready...Everybody's runnin' around like a massive earthquake is about to strike and we've got to get off the mainland or we all perish!!!! hahahahaha...Right?" You know what I'm talkin' about. I love diving, but I hate the crazed environment you're thrust into on a trip...

But, I've taken heed of the heat I received for not standing up for myself, in ensuring that every single component of my dive has been checked out and tested. So...I'm getting there. And, to my surprise, every divemaster I've been with has been very patient and helpful, which leads me to believe that 95% of this, in my own head...LOL...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom