Full face mask pull my chin during diving and jaw fatigue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi everyone, I just have a question about my Ocean Reef full face mask. For now, I have used this FFM about 3 time, since I dive in cold water, I have to use it with hood on, every time when I'm down in the water, I can feel the FFM bouyant, and it just pull my chin, and make my jaw really really tired, and uncomfortable, at the very first time, I was thinking it maybe the hood not designed for FFM(nomral 7mm hood), so I bought a full face mask hood just want to see it's get better, unfortunately, it seems not, I can still feel my jaw fatigue so much after a while down in the water, and after about 1 hour diving, when get out of the water, I even can't bit food for about a couple hours, just jaw sore.

This is really pissed me, so just wondering is there anybody have similar problem, I tried to google that, really can't find anything, is there anyway to eliminate this issue? Is FFM suppose to overcome the jaw fatigure? But why I got the oppsite result?

thanks in advance.

FFM's are really buoyant which is probably what you are experiencing if the mask is adjusted properly to your head. You can try to play around with the spider which may help a bit. I don't know if they make mask weights for yours, but it is worth talking to the shop you bought it from to see if that is an accessory for that particular model. If not you may want to look at the "Extender" and see if you can get about 1/2lb of pouch lead around the second stage side and see if that will help.

I have TMJ fairly bad from too many years of bagpiping and while I have pretty severe jaw fatigue on my 4-6hr dives on the rebreather if I'm not super careful about mouthpiece placement I've never had an issue with high quality mouthpieces *Apeks Comfobite for my preference* and using Omniswivels to put the second stage in the exact orientation where it just sits in my mouth. When I dive with my FFM, either Poseidon Atmosphere or AGA I have not experienced jaw fatigue from the mask pulling up but we usually have lights mounted to the frame which helps and I only use them for communications so we are talking the whole time.

hi everyone, I just have a question about my Ocean Reef full face mask. For now, I have used this FFM about 3 time, since I dive in cold water, I have to use it with hood on, every time when I'm down in the water, I can feel the FFM bouyant, and it just pull my chin, and make my jaw really really tired, and uncomfortable, at the very first time, I was thinking it maybe the hood not designed for FFM(nomral 7mm hood), so I bought a full face mask hood just want to see it's get better, unfortunately, it seems not, I can still feel my jaw fatigue so much after a while down in the water, and after about 1 hour diving, when get out of the water, I even can't bit food for about a couple hours, just jaw sore.

This is really pissed me, so just wondering is there anybody have similar problem, I tried to google that, really can't find anything, is there anyway to eliminate this issue? Is FFM suppose to overcome the jaw fatigure? But why I got the oppsite result?

thanks in advance.
Loosen the top straps.Your jaw is fatigued because it is working against the pressure of the top straps.

Not to hijack, but how does one clear a FFM? I purchased one and plan to try it out in CZM later this week...What if it fogs?

I do plan on carrying my facemask as a backup.

FFM's are really buoyant which is probably what you are experiencing if the mask is adjusted properly to your head. You can try to play around with the spider which may help a bit. I don't know if they make mask weights for yours, but it is worth talking to the shop you bought it from to see if that is an accessory for that particular model. If not you may want to look at the "Extender" and see if you can get about 1/2lb of pouch lead around the second stage side and see if that will help.

I have TMJ fairly bad from too many years of bagpiping and while I have pretty severe jaw fatigue on my 4-6hr dives on the rebreather if I'm not super careful about mouthpiece placement I've never had an issue with high quality mouthpieces *Apeks Comfobite for my preference* and using Omniswivels to put the second stage in the exact orientation where it just sits in my mouth. When I dive with my FFM, either Poseidon Atmosphere or AGA I have not experienced jaw fatigue from the mask pulling up but we usually have lights mounted to the frame which helps and I only use them for communications so we are talking the whole time.
thank you, I'm using a normal Ocean Reef G-diver, you said "Extender" is that the "externder kit"?

Loosen the top straps.Your jaw is fatigued because it is working against the pressure of the top straps.
thanks, but if I loosen the top straps a bit, I can feel small bubbles leaking, up from my head, even useing a FFM hood, so is that means FFM is better to be used in troppic without hood?

Not to hijack, but how does one clear a FFM? I purchased one and plan to try it out in CZM later this week...What if it fogs?

Push top against forehead and hit purge button. If it’s designed properly the fogging isn’t an issue as it pushes fresh air up past the lens.

thank you, I'm using a normal Ocean Reef G-diver, you said "Extender" is that the "externder kit"?
Yes

thanks, but if I loosen the top straps a bit, I can feel small bubbles leaking, up from my head, even useing a FFM hood, so is that means FFM is better to be used in troppic without hood?
Ffm is more common with hoods than without in my experience. I’ve never had issues with mine

They generally don't fog up. You don't have to treat them or anything, they just don't fog.
Clear as in if they flood? Not that it's required, but I would suggest taking a class or doing a dive with someone that dives FFM. They are very difficult to flood, but you should still get practice with clearing them and comfortable bailing out to a regular mask and reg.
The most important factor, at least to me, is being able to equalize with the FFM. Definitely takes some practice and adjustments to the mask.

Push top against forehead and hit purge button. If it’s designed properly the fogging isn’t an issue as it pushes fresh air up past the lens.

Yes

Ffm is more common with hoods than without in my experience. I’ve never had issues with mine
I do have the extender kit already installed, but this "pull feeling" just really make me wanna finish the dive asap when I'm down in the water.

I do have the extender kit already installed, but this "pull feeling" just really make me wanna finish the dive asap when I'm down in the water.

If you dont mind, upload some pics with you wearing the mask. Front and sides. It may be a fit or adjustment issue. When adjusting the straps go...middle, bottom, top. The top strap/s shouldn't move much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom