Shore diving in Mahahual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tothehilt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in Mahahual for a couple of months this winter, and while I intend to boat dive from reefs and at Chinchorro I am wondering if anyone here has experience with shore diving. I have searched prodigiouslyin this site and throughout the internet and find very little information about it, just snippets that tanks can be hard to rent, that the reef is a mile away - not encouraging. Not sure I would bother to bring my own gear if this is not a possibility, though I suppose the savings on rentals might justify it. I have read that Amigos Del Mar is a good ops, also Gypsea divers. Wrote to Gypsea but did not hear back. Tried to call Amigos, not possible from my phone.

So if anyone knows of a dive shop that will rent tanks, and what reefs to target, I would be appreciative.

I don't think you will find decent shore diving in Mahahual. Everywhere I looked there it was very shallow for a long way out.

BRT wrote: ...
Everywhere I looked there it was very shallow for a long way out.

Shallow is OK. Do you know how far a swim it is to the reefs?

BRT wrote: ...
Everywhere I looked there it was very shallow for a long way out.

Shallow is OK. Do you know how far a swim it is to the reefs?
Seemed like a long way. I like to shore dive. Even in 10-15 feet. Please post on what you find when you are there.

There is no shore diving in Mahahual unless you want to swim out half a mile with your gear. Just book with Heike at Amigos del Mar, definitely go to Chinchorro with him.

Thanks for the info, horn. That’s too bad to hear about the long swim, too far to be tempting for me. Maybe with a kayak. I did hear you can access a reef near the terminal, and toward and near Xcalak, but that is probably pretty mild fare as far as diving goes. I will certainly dive Chinchorro and will ask for Heike, thanks.

As others above have stated it is too far of a swim out to get to the reefs. Have used Catherine at Gypsea Divers multiple times, communication via email have always been spotty there. You may try contacting Evan at the Hotel National, they are located next-door to Gypsea and can probably get your message over (and is also a great place to stay). Lots of good sites, all within a 15 minute boat ride.

Attachments

• B77CD96A-E425-4744-AACA-A9EFFDDB214A.jpeg
    B77CD96A-E425-4744-AACA-A9EFFDDB214A.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 75
Thanks RTD. I did read that the reef in Xcalak is closer to shore and looks like I will be going there so that might be my best shot for a shore dive. I will just wait until I get there to get in touch with Gypse. They have a good price on a ten dive package - $400.

Back
Top Bottom