Hamanasi Resort to Turneffe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyAnk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are considering a vacation to Hamanasi resort in Belize it looks geographically close to Turneffe resort but it looks like the established routes are not so simple. Does anyone have experience traveling between the two?

We are considering a vacation to Hamanasi resort in Belize it looks geographically close to Turneffe resort but it looks like the established routes are not so simple. Does anyone have experience traveling between the two?
I think it’s simple, just not direct. Assuming you are thinking of spending a week at each or something like that - you will simply return to Belize City between the stays. Drive or shuttle to Hamanasi from there. And take advantage of a resorts boat transfers to Turneffe (typically only certain days unless you make $pecial arrangements.)

Helicopter transfers can be arranged to Turneffe. Possibly if you want to throw money at this you could arrange a direct helicopter transfer, or even a flight. :) I’ve found operators there tend to be quite helpful with logistics and setting up what you need.

We're doing what Damselfish mentioned this February.
There probably isn't an easy option between the two unless you're willing to shell out some significant money for a private transfer.
We're staying a week out on Long Caye, returning to Belize City and taking a flight that same morning out of municipal to Dangriga for the resort boat transfer out to Off the Wall on Glovers for the second week.
We've stayed at both places before and are really looking forward to it.

I just did this very thing back in May. We stayed at Belize Dive Haven and then moved on to Hamanasi. Stayed at each place 3-4 days roughly (including travel days). The only way I found to go was to take the water taxi that the resort offered from Turneffe to Belize City. Then you have options. You can fly from Belize City to Dangriga and Hamanasi will pick you up there and drive you to the resort (probably quickest) in terms of time spent in transportation but only marginally so. The other option is to have Hamanasi pick you up wherever your Turneffe resort will drop you off and take you to Hamanasi..

RECOMMENDATION: Do the drive and skip the flight. Make a day of it and stop at Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM as its known) Cave Tour (arrange tour through Hamanasi). The drive is beautiful and the ATM cave tour is absolutely AMAZING. You should ask for Elias as a tour guide as he was simply superb. See And Then The Rain Came – Wild Williams World Wanderings for an excerpt from my blog of my day at the ATM.

After writing this I realized you want to do the opposite direction so just reverse everything :cool:

PS If you would like to see more pictures and descriptions of the whole trip which has descriptions and details on Belize Dive Haven and Hamanasi as well as a quick stop at Ambergris Caye, see my complete blog for this trip at "Belize it or Not"

I don't usually recommend driving for first timers in Belize just because it's always a little intimidating whenever I go to someplace completely new. But it really is easy. The car rentals agencies are a two minute walk across the airport parking lot. The roads aren't in great condition but there aren't very many of them so it's easy to navigate without getting lost. And the scenery along the Hummingbird Highway, which is the stretch of road through the Maya Mountains between Belmopan and Dangriga is really beautiful.

Just be sure to turn left coming out of the airport and head north on the Northern Highway, away from BZ City, to the connector to the Western Highway that goes to Belmopan. BZ City is not a tourist town, to put it mildly, and although you could go that way it would probably not end well if you got lost there.

I don't usually recommend driving for first timers in Belize just because it's always a little intimidating whenever I go to someplace completely new. But it really is easy. The car rentals agencies are a two minute walk across the airport parking lot. The roads aren't in great condition but there aren't very many of them so it's easy to navigate without getting lost. And the scenery along the Hummingbird Highway, which is the stretch of road through the Maya Mountains between Belmopan and Dangriga is really beautiful.

Just be sure to turn left coming out of the airport and head north on the Northern Highway, away from BZ City, to the connector to the Western Highway that goes to Belmopan. BZ City is not a tourist town, to put it mildly, and although you could go that way it would probably not end well if you got lost there.
There is a new road connecting from the airport to the Western Hwy.
Saves a bit of time.
BE929DF1-B6F0-4328-99D2-012BDC37E29A.jpeg

I've done many trips to Turneffe. From Hopkins, it's pretty far. 30 miles? If it's blowing 15-20 mph E NE winds, best to go north inside the reef and cross over at Magatom cut, just north of Southern Long Caye. From there it's about 9 miles or so to the Elbow, a great dive spot.
There is also good diving just east of Hamanasi. Southwater Caye down to Gran Channel has nice walls. 30 minute boat ride from Hamanasi.
I like this area. That's why I chose to live in Sittee River :)
0507D173-531C-4ED0-96F7-5536C7FFDE49.jpeg

There is a new road connecting from the airport to the Western Hwy.
Saves a bit of time.

What? And miss driving by the Hattieville Prison? :)

When I fly in from the States, we usually go right over the prison as we're descending into Goldson. I look forward to seeing it knowing that means we're going to touch down in about another minute.

How does the driving compare to Dominican Republic? The DR made driving in Greece and Spain look easy.

Well, I haven't driven in the DR, Greece or Spain, but I imagine that it must be easier.

It really is just as easy as driving in the United States. Maybe even easier because there are practically no traffic cops in the entire country but there are sometimes military checkpoints. Driving around Belize City would probably be the most intimidating but that has more to do with the funk of the town than the roads and traffic.

Back
Top Bottom