Hand luggage for Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back also: torches and batteries in hand luggage both ways (plus masks, DC and camera gear), regulator just on the way there. No issues were raised.

I am going to do a liveaboard to the Red Sea in the upcoming weeks and I am planning to carry as much dive gear as possible in the hand luggage, as I arrive 6 hours before the boat sails.

Does anyone have experience with regulators and/or backplates in the hand luggage, when in transit between International lines in Instanbul?

I have flown through IST many many times with scuba equipment including rebreather heads and Li-Ion batteries in my carry on and never had an issue. Most of the security in IST is very very use to people traveling with diving equipment so most of the time they never even check it as they already recognize it on the x-ray machine and same applies when you leave Egypt. Also just a little travel tip if you are flying Turkish Airlines they actually allow you one free checked bag of sports equipment and diving gear applies. https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/any-questions/sports-equipment/diving/ this applies to flights to HRG and SSH. Many people do not know this about Turkish Airlines and they do not volunteer this information very often but having flown Turkish Airlines a lot I can confirm they do allow this.

Also if your Star Alliance Gold you get access to the amazing Turkish Airlines lounge. This is one of my favorite lounges.

I would worry about the flight back from Egypt, depending on the mood and the people manning the security station.

Their mood is definitely a factor that might give you hard times. My partner and I never had real issues. Once I packed a spool in the carry on, by accident, they did ask about it but after explaining what is was and telling them friendly I could leave it behind it was ok and I could take it onboard.
Another time we had some friends with us, the security asked them about some double enders. They did start a small discussion and at the end they had to leave some stuff at the airport.
Never start a discussion with them. :)

If you've been to Egyptian airports, you know that 3 security checks is the norm and at each security, you will get a different experience. I'm glad the OP didn't have any issues.

Usually, it's one to get into the airport, another after check in but before you go the gates, and then sometimes another one right before the gates. (3!!!) No one is allowed to complain about TSA ever again.

They have tried to take NiMH eneloop batteries, alkaline batteries, gopro batteries, camera batteries, bug spray...I mean, it's just random and inconsistent sometimes. But I've learned to check all allen keys/tools and anything that can be perceived as being used for nefarious intentions including line (spools), bolt snaps and other hardware.

7kg total for carry on is usually the norm. Many people get away with it without issue but sometimes they will throw the book at you. I've bypassed it with camera gear (they don't want me checking it anyway and I don't want to) so be prepared and have a backup plan in case things don't go as planned and you have to check things. With that said, I exclusively check all my dive gear because I have to carry my camera gear instead. The exceptions are for primary mask, computers, and a spare swimsuit. I've never had an issue with my gear in the hold and that is with a lot of connections, random airports, etc. I usually log a lot of miles every year and it's not an issue. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom