Total newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Self buil hookah, solo diving, and hookah itself isn't really what we call "safe"

you said you are interested in a safe activity. So take a dive course and learn it the right way. And buy quality equipment.

Self buil hookah, solo diving, and hookah itself isn't really what we call "safe"

you said you are interested in a safe activity. So take a dive course and learn it the right way. And buy quality equipment.

The problem with what you are saying is that it makes sense and is the prudent and safe way to go.

You have been warned about the danger so I will give you a couple of warnings about home built hookah. First one thing you didn't mention in your first post was filtration. I recommend two filters and would recommend calling a refutable filter company for their recommendations. Second most scuba second stages are set up with about 145 psi inlet pressure, hookahs run in the 80-90 psi inlet range. The spring in the second is different.

Hi Dan, shallow hookah diver here, however instead of DIY I use a commercially-produced unit. I cannot stress enough how beneficial it is to undertake a scuba certification prior to considering such a system - while my unit came with some mandatory training, having the extra 'real-world' training in emergency scenarios, buoyancy, navigation, dealing with entanglement etc made an incredible difference to my ability to assess and deal with risks. I'd seriously consider travelling to tick that course off your list before choosing what you want to do re: diving equipment.

Personally, I love the extra freedom of scuba and consider it to be safer when done properly, but I have reasons for performing both types of dives. All the best :)

Well first off thank you for all the replies. The reason I was going to Hookah type was I thought it would cost me less. AS far as the certification I was going to get that in Palau once I got there. After a lot more research I find that it does not cost that much to rent a scuba system. The second part is how I started in all this is I watch sailing channels and I like the fact that they freedive for fish and lobster. As I can hold my breath for a total of 30 sec it really would be hard for me to do. The next best thing I thought would be the hookah system. I think I am going to hold off and rent for a while first then decide. As far as building a system I have knowledge in water treatment (building ozone generators and such. fully capable of building a comparable safe system that is on par if not better than a certified one.

Again thanks for the input. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good used one in Palau that someone does not want to haul home. :)

Well first off thank you for all the replies. The reason I was going to Hookah type was I thought it would cost me less. AS far as the certification I was going to get that in Palau once I got there. After a lot more research I find that it does not cost that much to rent a scuba system. The second part is how I started in all this is I watch sailing channels and I like the fact that they freedive for fish and lobster. As I can hold my breath for a total of 30 sec it really would be hard for me to do. The next best thing I thought would be the hookah system. I think I am going to hold off and rent for a while first then decide. As far as building a system I have knowledge in water treatment (building ozone generators and such. fully capable of building a comparable safe system that is on par if not better than a certified one.

Again thanks for the input. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good used one in Palau that someone does not want to haul home. :)
Build it/use it.....There's lots of us out there!...These Guys are no fun at Partys..
stoneshirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom