Expanding ScubaBoard to social media

Which social media channels do you actively use (diving related) ?

• Facebook

Votes: 74 47.4%
  • Instagram

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • TikTok

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Twitter

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Pinterest

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Youtube

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • ScubaBoard only!

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kind of funny, as "forums" such as scubaboard.com are themselves social media platforms. Scubaboard.com is a better platforms than the ones listed in the poll I.M.O..
I thought the same thing, with one key difference. What I 'Like' on Scuba Board doesn't transmit to other people in a social network with me (unless they see the post and look), it's only when I post that a thread gets bumped back up top, and even then, it's only noticed by people who've chosen to get on Scuba Board.

On Facebook, when I 'Share' something, it gets sent to the feed of people linked to me (like that horde of people I don't know on my Friends list there). Whether there is value in that is harder to say. Just because I 'Like' a nice photo of a sand tiger shark or lemon shark doesn't mean non-divers on my friends list will get seized with the mad urge to take up diving with them.
I also do believe that Message board like this one are kind of becoming a thing of the past.
I think some such places have been disrupted, but I doubt Scuba Board's that vulnerable. People like a dedicated site where they can reliably go to share, research and discuss specialty subject matter. Facebook is not it. I don't want the scuba 'train of thought' disrupted with memes, political cartoons, cute animal videos, etc...

I see Facebook pages working for some regional social groups in scuba, but not at the international level like we see here. Anyone know of such?

I thought the same thing, with one key difference. What I 'Like' on Scuba Board doesn't transmit to other people in a social network with me (unless they see the post and look), it's only when I post that a thread gets bumped back up top, and even then, it's only noticed by people who've chosen to get on Scuba Board.

On Facebook, when I 'Share' something, it gets sent to the feed of people linked to me (like that horde of people I don't know on my Friends list there). Whether there is value in that is harder to say. Just because I 'Like' a nice photo of a sand tiger shark or lemon shark doesn't mean non-divers on my friends list will get seized with the mad urge to take up diving with them.

I think some such places have been disrupted, but I doubt Scuba Board's that vulnerable. People like a dedicated site where they can reliably go to share, research and discuss specialty subject matter. Facebook is not it. I don't want the scuba 'train of thought' disrupted with memes, political cartoons, cute animal videos, etc...

I see Facebook pages working for some regional social groups in scuba, but not at the international level like we see here. Anyone know of such?
Can you imagine a Facebook group with as many daily posts as sb has?

I have enough trouble with a car group I admin that gets ~5 new posts a day... And most of them are "what is the biggest tire I can fit?"...

None of the above.

Since there is no social media called "none", it's not in the list. If you don't use any, don't select any.
I tried to do what you suggest. Clicking "Cast Vote" with none selected just causes an error message that says in part "vote for at least one option." So in fact it is impossible to indicate "none".

Ok, so there is no social media called "none", but why take the comments here so literally? Surely you have encountered one or two questionnaire items over your lifetime that include a "none of the above" option? And surely you understand the importance of including that choice if you want the survey results to have any validity at all?

No, I wrote Bit of a missed opportunity that nobody kept an eye on that page and with nobody I meant any of the staff.

No, the goal is not to spread discussions out over several media.

Since there is no social media called "none", it's not in the list. If you don't use any, don't select any.

The FB link is already posted, others are being considered.

Thank you all for replying so far.
I'm also very interested in reactions from the younger generations (let's say born after 1980), who grew up in the computer era and have a different viewpoint on social media.
I am younger than pretty much everyone on here. However, I barely use social media at all.

I watch Youtube a lot. I used to use twitter but recently stopped.

You are missing Reddit in your list. reddit.com/r/scuba has almost 110,000 members. I even see usernames from here often.

Beginners are far more likely to find that subreddit than they are this forum.

Reddit is one of the largest and fastest growing social media platforms that is getting bigger.

No, the goal is not to spread discussions out over several media.
But you've said that trip reports (or content from trip reports) is already being cross posted to Instagram, right?

Are/were the originators of the trip report content aware that it has been / will be published to Instagram? Do/did they consent? Is there a clearly visible method to opt in or out of having one's content published outside ScubaBoard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom