Villa Aldora Updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zenshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering booking Villa Aldora for a dive trip next February. On TripAdvisor there's a scathing review about VA from July 2021, the room conditions including insect problems in the rooms, and the recent turnover of management. Any updated reviews would be VERY appreciated.

There are seven more recent reviews (all 5 star) after that review, that would be one indicator although I do not like/trust that most of them only have one contribution... I haven’t stayed there in over a year myself but the only bugs we had to deal with back then were the usual mosquitoes.

I personally would book it if I was interested today although we prefer to stay at Casa Mexicanas or the Hotel Cozumel when we are diving with Aldora for easier access to town and the included breakfast(s). It sounds like this person had a very bad experience and developed quite a bit of bad blood between himself and the staff when staying there, that is very unfortunate/sad to hear/not wished upon anyone but I don’t think I would totally write off the entire Villa because of it.

It sounds like this person had a very bad experience and developed quite a bit of bad blood between himself and the staff when staying there, that is very unfortunate/sad to hear/not wished upon anyone but I don’t think I would totally write off the entire Villa because of it.
I haven't read the review, and don't plan to, (and don't dive with Aldora).
I have found that there is at least as many fake, garbage reviews on TA as there are legitimate ones.
My advice would be to take that one with less than a grain of salt.

I stayed at VA in October 2020 and found it to be great, no bugs of any kind. I would contact @Memo Mendoza privately to share your concerns or questions and I’m sure he will set you completely at ease. I’ve found him to be great to talk with and personally accountable for ensuring everyone has a great stay.

If you don’t want to private message him here, call the dive shop and leave your number - he will call you back. Most business owners don’t engage much directly on scubaboard so I would not expect any replies from him in this thread.

I think the change in management might be referring to the change in the on-site managers. There was an American couple on site for many years and they retired and then a new American couple took over for a short period. Things did not work out with them but there’s a lovely new on site local manager named Betty and her and her daughter manage the place now. I rented a condo nearby because I was staying for longer but 2 sets of friends we’re staying there over the summer and they had no issues and were very happy with the service and accommodations.

We stayed at the Villa in August and had an excellent experience. The on-site managers were great. The Auguest trip was our third time staying at the Villa and our first with the new on-site management. We plan to return.

I think the change in management might be referring to the change in the on-site managers. There was an American couple on site for many years and they retired and then a new American couple took over for a short period. Things did not work out with them but there’s a lovely new on site local manager named Betty and her and her daughter manage the place now. I rented a condo nearby because I was staying for longer but 2 sets of friends we’re staying there over the summer and they had no issues and were very happy with the service and accommodations.
Her name is “Betsy” and she was very pleasant and helpful during my week stay in September.

I'm considering booking Villa Aldora for a dive trip next February. On TripAdvisor there's a scathing review about VA from July 2021, the room conditions including insect problems in the rooms, and the recent turnover of management. Any updated reviews would be VERY appreciated.
I am on my way back home from a stay at VIlla Aldora. I’d never stayed there before, previously always tried to save money by staying in cheaper places. It was well worth it. We saved $ on the cost of our dives by staying there. The room met our needs and Betsy was very helpful for anything we asked. Able to snorkel and shore dive around the hotel when Aldora wasn’t doing night dives. Highly recommended.

Typo, yes Betsy. She is lovely and extremely helpful.

I'm happy to hear all the positive comments. We're heading to Cozumel in February for the first time and have booked at Villa Aldora.

Back
Top Bottom