Long haul transportation of steel cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vibenz

Registered
Reaction score
I will be shipping my 2 HP100 steel cylinders internationally.

The freight forwarder demands that the valves are removed from the cylinders prior to shipping, to prove that they are not pressurized, in accordance with international shipping regulations. In other words, the cylinders are to be shipped open and with the valves packaged separately.

Anyone here with knowledge / experience that can provide some guidance?

I have done some extensive googling to see if I can find some simple plastic caps to prevent dirt from entering the cylinders, but to no avail. Do such caps exist - where?

Before you get too involved, are the cylinders you are shipping going to be recognized at your location? Different countries have different requirements on gas cylinders. You can ship them there, but can you get them filled? Are they even legal to be filled?

Yes, cylinder come with plastic shipping caps when new. Check with your local dive shop. They are typically just tossed in the trash when the shop puts the new valve on the new tank.

Option two is even simpler, put a piece of tape over the opening. Don't get carried away, think about the adhesive clean up once you get them.

Before you get too involved, are the cylinders you are shipping going to be recognized at your location? Different countries have different requirements on gas cylinders. You can ship them there, but can you get them filled? Are they even legal to be filled?

Yes, cylinder come with plastic shipping caps when new. Check with your local dive shop. They are typically just tossed in the trash when the shop puts the new valve on the new tank.

Option two is even simpler, put a piece of tape over the opening. Don't get carried away, think about the adhesive clean up once you get them.
Thank you.

To your first point, the answer is yes.

Good point to check with my dive shop. :)

With regard to tape, the adhesive challenge is my main reservation too.

Caps.JPG

These work well as they come in standard pipe sizes. This clip is form MSC but you can get them on Amazon, you may want to throw in some desiccant packs to help with moisture. Shipping is very expensive right now and delays are the norm so it may be cheaper to buy or rent when you get there.

Who cares? Put a piece of duct tape across the opening and ship them. The new owner is going to have to get the cylinders inspected anyway.

I prefer gaff tape, less residue.
Just use what you have or can get for free. There is no point in buying something just to ship.

I have shipped my cylinders to several countries on three continents. I empty each one, remove the valve, place a plastic plug in the hole to protect the threads, then wrap my tank in corrugated paper / kraft paper to keep the paint from being scratched in shipping. Never had a problem with shipping, fills and hydros can be a pain to impossible due to different markings [no DOT of ICC regulations outside the USA]. Also, DIN v. yoke valves, get the right ones for your destination.

Another thing... are they Air or Nitrox? You might consider having your LDS "cap' and seal them and put a temp sticker on stating they did it and there is no need for a new viz at your destination as some ops want to require a fresh viz after a tank has been completely drained and the valve removed. Just my .02$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom