DIVE RITE CX1 vs CX2???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great_white

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I've got a local dealer who still has a few CX1's in stock - willing to offer a good price.
Will be using as a primary rec light, then move to backup role later on.
I was initially looking to pick up the CX2, but held the CX1 in hand and I love its form factor - short and compact, and feels like a tank. I also love the very positive tail cap switch. I am not too concerned about the lack of battery level indicator as I routinely recharge the light after an outing regardless.

For any of you who have experience with either or both of these, which one do you prefer?
Is the CX2's higher LUM output significant in practical terms? Or is the CX1 enough.

I know some people have reported corroded tailcap switches - any experience w this? I mostly dive fresh water up here in Canada, but will be bringing this on vacations to south as well.

Again, I love that the CX1 is stubbier and feels great in hand, while packing a slightly higher capacity battery.
Is the 1700 lumens vs 1000 worth the jump in price and bulk? Or should I just go for the CX1?

Thanks!

I have both. Use them for backup lights. I like the ability to charge the CX2 without removing the battery. Other people have said they like that for trips. I’ve got small hands and prefer the CX1’s shorter length. I will use the CX1 in the hand mount designed for it (non-QRM). I also like the longer run time of the CX1. Eh, they both work for me. I also prefer the shorter length of the CX1 as I put my first backup light on my right shoulder (dive SM). The CX2 sorta sticks out when used that way. But both are fine.

I will use the CX1 in the hand mount designed for it (non-QRM).
That is exactly my plan as well, and CX1 sits very well balanced on top of hand.
I also like the longer run time of the CX1.
Is that what you have found in practice?

How do the lumen outputs compare? Is the CX2 significantly brighter?

I’ve not taken the CX2 into a cave yet, but when I did cavern/intro to cave last fall, I used the CX1 one day as my primary because I was having issues with my LX20. CX1 is pretty bright and gave adequate light under those conditions. I got 2 x 60 minute dives out of it. Worked OK for a primary, although I was glad my LX20 was working fine the next day.

Haven’t compared the brightness of the two yet. Keep forgetting to.

I have used the CX2 as a primary light cave diving a couple of times. It was fine for me.

I like the CX2 primarily because of the ability to charge it without removing the battery. Its also handy if you need to hammer anything... like parts of the boat, a buddy into submission, or defend yourself from attacking mer-people. It is big.

I like the CX2 primarily because of the ability to charge it without removing the battery. Its also handy if you need to hammer anything... like parts of the boat, a buddy into submission, or defend yourself from attacking mer-people. It is big.
😂All fair points, not to mention the few pounds of lead you can shed to offset its mass lol

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Naw, the CX2 isn’t what I call a “fish basher.” :D Those are the 3 C (D?) cell heavy ones. LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom