Custom Neoprene drysuit need one who makes the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious about that, too. I have also watched his video. I got the impression it was having a long leash on the zipper pull, and a zipper that zips easily. I would just GUESS plastic. My back zip suit (a Seaskin) has a metal zipper and it is so stiff, I don't see any way I could zip it myself, even with a long leash on the pull. But, all the plastic zippers I've had (all front zip) zipped very easily (when lubed properly).

Maybe also something about the the zipper details that help make it so you don't get material caught in the zipper as you close it?
If a Seaskin Ultra suit were built with the plastic zipper from the Nova, could it be self-donning with a long leash on the back zipper pull, like the Seasoft? I'm thinking that Seaskin might be willing to build a custom Ultra with plastic back zip, provided there is no warranty on the zipper breaking or leaking. What would they have to lose by trying that? If it failed, the customer could just return the suit to have the metal zipper installed at customer's expense.

Am I wrong in thinking that a back zipper is under relatively low stress by being in a short and straight location?

There is no place for feelings here.
Now that is just being difficult. Stuart de-escalated and you still sound steamed. I don't doubt you have extensive experience behind what you say, but when you mention Consumer Reports style reviews - yes, that is exactly what I would like to see. In the few cases where I have comparative experience with gear it is what I give, because it is useful.

Now, if you don't want to that's your business. But let me use a specific example: Seaskin suits have won a reputation on this site for being the best value in made-to-measure drysuits. There is a 113 page thread full of actual experiences to back that claim. You have said they aren't the best value. So what is the best value and why?

Based on their own special materials they use in their drysuit, track record and reputation in the UK and others who use it outside the UK. You will rarely see or hear about Seaskin in the UK. In fact, most people I have talked to while living there in 2019 know about O3 while they never heard of Seaskin. These people are top notch tech. diving instructors as well as dive operators and active divers. I have visited dive shows, dive centers and communicated with MANY instructors there during the time I lived in the UK. It isn't a scientific survey but this is what I come across while contemplating what brand of suit to go with there. There are other known brands in the UK but Seaskin isn't one of the brands mentioned or recommended by the many people I have talked to there. This doesn't mean that Seaskin is a bad suit, it just means that it isn't anything special and not the high quality with the track record or reputation other mfg. have in the UK.
I dive a custom Seaskin, fits awesome, works great. I never tell the people who jealously look at my tailored monogrammed suit and carry bag how reasonable the price was!
I added every bell and whistle and was only 1/3 the price of a top end Waterproof

Attachments

• 2E11FCFD-ED86-483A-B95D-CAF5D84A153D.jpeg
    2E11FCFD-ED86-483A-B95D-CAF5D84A153D.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 73
I dive a custom Seaskin, fits awesome, works great. I never tell the people who jealously look at my tailored monogrammed suit and carry bag how reasonable the price was!
I added every bell and whistle and was only 1/3 the price of a top end Waterproof
Yes I'm the same. First time drysuit user, but couldn't afford the more expensive brands so bought a Seaskin Ultra. That said, it fits perfectly, keeps me dry etc. Just wish the zip was on the front!!!

I feel you’ve failed to answer Stuart’s question, again

Yes, but in not answering, he has kind of answered. He doesn't give any comparison or contrast on details of the suits because he can't.

He has no basis in factual details about the 2 suits to say that one is better than the other, and that is the real answer.

Moving on...

The O3 are probably great yet cost 3x more. Back to the OP, he doesn’t generally dive deep so buoyancy swings are of little concern but due to local influence and his glued to the bottom requirements tends to add no air to his suit, I think he would be perfectly happy with the black ice he currently has if he were to add some air which he could also get by with less undergarment which would also help with fit.

Yes, but in not answering, he has kind of answered. He doesn't give any comparison or contrast on details of the suits because he can't.

He has no basis in factual details about the 2 suits to say that one is better than the other, and that is the real answer.

Moving on...

As I have said, you are demanding "consumer reports" detailed report which I can't and won't provide or even begin to put time into it. I have answered your question in what I believe is the best answer but if you want to stomp your feet/fingers and insist on your way of an answer, that is your issue not mine. Not more so than you stating what you state. If anyone here on SB asks a question on what is the best of a certain product and expects a table of features and comparisons between products/brands, they are delusional and very presumptuous. You haven't given any reason why your choice is "better" or best other than being a cheap product. That is your definition of what is better or best and it works for you. I have given you a summary of my experience, observations, research and discussions with more experienced users of the suit in their country of manufacturing. Also, you are so focused on O3 but nothing about DUI. In my experience, DUI is not only the best but the absolute best in crushed neoprene.

BTW, the OP's question is very simple:
Who makes the best?

And I have answered it with little more details than what he asked and more details than what you have provided. You are so focused on me than on your choices. BTW, I have MORE than an order of magnitude dive experience in drysuits than you.

As I have said, you are demanding "consumer reports" detailed report which I can't and won't provide or even begin to put time into it. I have answered your question in what I believe is the best answer but if you want to stomp your feet/fingers and insist on your way of an answer, that is your issue not mine. Not more so than you stating what you state. If anyone here on SB asks a question on what is the best of a certain product and expects a table of features and comparisons between products/brands, they are delusional and very presumptuous. You haven't given any reason why your choice is "better" or best other than being a cheap product. That is your definition of what is better or best and it works for you. I have given you a summary of my experience, observations, research and discussions with more experienced users of the suit in their country of manufacturing. Also, you are so focused on O3 but nothing about DUI. In my experience, DUI is not only the best but the absolute best in crushed neoprene.

BTW, the OP's question is very simple:

And I have answered it with little more details that what he asked and more details than what you have provided. You are so focused on me than on your choices. BTW, I have MORE than an order of magnitude dive experience in drysuits than you.
Yawn. It appears those “magnitudes” of experience didn’t net too much in the way of being able to answer an acute question with acute answers. It appears these same periods also glossed over or skipped the years of DUI problems in the period after Fayth’s departure. I haven’t handled or dives a new suit of there’s in a while or at least in the period over which they seemed to have cleaned up their act some.

When most people ask for a comparison (be it CCR, regulators, lights, heating systems, etc) on SB, it is more often than not answered in a manner comparable to Stuart’s request. “Thoughts and feelings” from when you were in the UK do not coalesce with that level of information provided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom