New diver new to this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King1979

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone .

Im
Very new to diving having taken my open water and advanced open water with PADI IN 2020 whilst on holiday in Saint Lucia. I managed 20 Open water dives on that trip and love it. I managed another 8 dives in Barbados last week and am hooked . I’m starting to consider buying my own gear and joining a club to dive at home in the U.K. .

I have friends who say computers are a waste of time and a fad for newbies with too much money . This seems crazy considering the array of computers out there that go all the way up to tech diving , is he right ?

Also I want gear that will grow with me . Does anyone have good recommendations for cold water gear and a computer ?

Thanks

I’m

Hi everyone .

Im
Very new to diving having taken my open water and advanced open water with PADI IN 2020 whilst on holiday in Saint Lucia. I managed 20 Open water dives on that trip and love it. I managed another 8 dives in Barbados last week and am hooked . I’m starting to consider buying my own gear and joining a club to dive at home in the U.K. .

I have friends who say computers are a waste of time and a fad for newbies with too much money . This seems crazy considering the array of computers out there that go all the way up to tech diving , is he right ?

Also I want gear that will grow with me . Does anyone have good recommendations for cold water gear and a computer ?

Thanks

I’m
I assume you re already nitrox certified. A computer is an essential addition to your gear.

Welcome to diving it's addicting. I just got back from diving in Saint Lucia it was awesome. You will get all kinds of answers on gear and Scubaboard has a tendency to push one direction but for me you have to find what works for you. I have my type and brand preferences but if you find a good local shop they can help but are usually very brand specific. My preferences are back inflate style BCD's, currently Apeks back plate and wing, Apeks regulators and Shearwater computers. Computer's are a tool I would not dive without one and you can find good rec computers at a reasonable cost. Apeks is a UK based company so might be able to find some good prices but it is not the only good brand out there.

Hi and welcome. I hope you got to do a walking tour of the rainforest in St. Lucia; very lush.

Dive computers readily handle multi-level dives (which is what most reef and some other dives are) to maximize dive time, give you a real time notice of how much NDL you've got left at your current depth, and if you get one that's air-integrated, it can probably log your start and end tank pressures, and some can log the dive and download it to your computer (or even smart phone with some dive computers). Diving existed before computers, but especially for multi dive days I can hardly imagine skipping one to use old dive tables.

Computers are great. Unless your dives are very shallow like most of mine (30+ feet, 10+ metres). Tables worked fine for everyone for years, but I'm sure you know the bottom time limits are usually less than with a computer that accounts for multi-level diving. However, MUCH diving is like the deep diving I've done-- one depth basically, so not much different tables or computer. But, you have to watch your dive watch and depth gauge separately. So, you do a "square profile" dive with tables and have a bit more conservatism than with a computer, because it figures your max depth is your deepest depth and that you are at THAT exact depth the whole time, when in fact you are usually several feet above that depth.

There are obvious advantages to using a computer. On dives deeper than my usual I use mine, as well as still wearing my watch and of course analog depth gauge. AND, I use tables, Nitrox or Air. There are many threads arguing tables vs. computer. I think many avoid tables because they are just too much of a bother to keep the routine of how to use them on the tip of your tongue, but I have a bit of OCS (OCD? whatever).

but I have a bit of OCS (OCD? whatever)
CDO let's keep it in alphabetical order, if you want to be [or think you are] 'OCD'.:shakehead:
Welcome to the mad house.

CDO let's keep it in alphabetical order, if you want to be [or think you are] 'OCD'.:shakehead:
Welcome to the mad house.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder-- OCD. I googled it.

Computer should be you very first purchase. As far as a BC goes try some out before you spend your money. Most likely you have already used a jacket style( most rentals are these) try out a back inflate or a wing before you spend your money. Regulators there are lots on the market get something that is easily serviced locally to you. And finally yes there are some good deals online but always try and support your local dive shop! They are the ones that will help you grow in our beloved sport.

As a footnote, never leave dive gear unsupervised ( especially tanks) it tend to multiply very quick lol

I agree. Buying a computer should be first on your list. You should look on your computer as a trusted friend.

What are your dive conditions? Hows your eyesight? You mentioned cold water but other factors come into play as well

Back
Top Bottom