UW Camera gear tax and ferry help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi! I'm hoping to go to Cozumel soon but also would like to go to the mainland for some sight seeing and cenotes. I heard that Mexico charges up to 60% tax on "professional" camera equipment and that has me quite concerned. If this is an issue, it's best that I go somewhere else. I have Sony mirrorless cameras and nauticam housing. While I am not a professional, it would look that way and I don't have that kind of money to pay taxes on it. Will likely go through both Cancun and cozumel airports.

Also, heard that there may be a limit on baggage on the ferry? I would have a roller duffel, I keep my uw housing e.t.c in a small roller duffel that's carry on size and would want it next to me in the ferry and a backpack that has my camera gear. I also heard some items like batteries might not be allowed in carry on going back? Judy wanting some answers or if I need an easier location to go to. Thanks!

I fly into Cozumel at least twice annually. Not once have I had tax imposed on me in spite of my rather obvious Pelican camera case. I have a Nauticam housing as well.

I have heard of many instances of camera housings and drones getting taxed when clearing customs in Cabo. They claim that housings are not exempt even though the law states that each traveler is allowed two cameras. A camera for underwater use requires a housing and should also be exempt but you can argue this until you are blue in the face and they still will go online to Backscatter.com to get the value to assess the tax. It is for this reason that it is recommended to fly there via Mexico City. I don’t know about Cancun.

All lithium batteries must be carried on and I have never been hassled about all my batteries for video lights, dive lights etc.

They will confiscate any dive tools in your carry on when going through security for departure in Cozumel as was the case with my expensive all-in-one set.

If you're not a professional, the duty on professional equipment doesn't apply to you. Your term "cameras" might potentially be a problem if you intend to bring in a number. You can bring "two photographic or recording cameras" and "photographic material" duty-free. Note that there's a limit of "five storage devices for any electronic equipment", which could be interpreted as memory cards if the officer is having a bad day.

I've never paid any duty on anything I've brought including all sorts of weird stuff that elicited great interest from officers. If you got a great deal on something and you're worried about duty, take a copy of your receipt so at least you won't be assessed duty on more than you paid.

Hi! I'm hoping to go to Cozumel soon but also would like to go to the mainland for some sight seeing and cenotes. I heard that Mexico charges up to 60% tax on "professional" camera equipment and that has me quite concerned. If this is an issue, it's best that I go somewhere else. I have Sony mirrorless cameras and nauticam housing. While I am not a professional, it would look that way and I don't have that kind of money to pay taxes on it. Will likely go through both Cancun and cozumel airports.

Also, heard that there may be a limit on baggage on the ferry? I would have a roller duffel, I keep my uw housing e.t.c in a small roller duffel that's carry on size and would want it next to me in the ferry and a backpack that has my camera gear. I also heard some items like batteries might not be allowed in carry on going back? Judy wanting some answers or if I need an easier location to go to. Thanks!
So far at least, the camera duty scam has been limited to the Pacific side of Mexico, most notably Cabo. Still, it would not surprise me to see it start in Cancun or Coz eventually. The amount they charge for the duty is 16% of the "value" of the housing, as determined by the person making you pay, or whatever they think they can get from you.

Batteries are an issue on departure from Coz. Under U.S. rules, no lithium in checked bags. According to Coz security officials, no lithium in carry-on. If you have to connect in the U.S. to get to your final destination, plan on opening luggage and moving any spare lithium batteries to a carry-on. If they are installed in a device, you should be OK, though. I have had the airport security in Coz insist NO batteries in carry-on and have had Eneloops and similar AA and AAA batteries seized. Other times, no problem. On trips to Coz, all uninstalled batteries now go in checked bags on way back. Checked alkaline and nimh batteries comply with FAA regs as well. I was once successful leaving a spare lithium camera battery "installed" in the wall charger in my carry-on from Coz, but I would not count on that working next time.

According to Coz security officials, no lithium in carry-on.
That was not my experience in May departing Cozumel. Per the directive by the airline (not really US rules), my spare lithium ion batteries were in insulated cases in my camera case in my carry on and there was no problem at security.

Lithium batteries used to be a big hassle for tourists due to conflicting requirements - TSA (and most every other country) requires them in carry-on and Mexico prohibited them. Seems about 3 or 4 years ago Mexico aligned itself with the rest of the world and their published rules require them in carry on. I have had Mexican security look in my camera bag loaded with lithiums and they passed it by so actual enforcement seems consistent with stated rules (which is not always the case in some countries).

As for installed batteries, the increasing popularity of push-button on/off switches can be an issue. If there isn't a lockout switch it is easy for them to be pushed on. Dive lights are not designed for long run times out of the water and can overheat. I have some cheap LED video lights that I put in checked but remove the batteries and put in carry on in insulated cases.

Lithium batteries used to be a big hassle for tourists due to conflicting requirements - TSA (and most every other country) requires them in carry-on and Mexico prohibited them. Seems about 3 or 4 years ago Mexico aligned itself with the rest of the world and their published rules require them in carry on. I have had Mexican security look in my camera bag loaded with lithiums and they passed it by so actual enforcement seems consistent with stated rules (which is not always the case in some countries).

As for installed batteries, the increasing popularity of push-button on/off switches can be an issue. If there isn't a lockout switch it is easy for them to be pushed on. Dive lights are not designed for long run times out of the water and can overheat. I have some cheap LED video lights that I put in checked but remove the batteries and put in carry on in insulated cases.
Many put a little piece of paper over one of the battery terminals so the battery is still "installed" and can be in checked-luggage but cannot be turned on.

Back
Top Bottom