Gear pockets with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Similarly a sidemount-style butt pouch would work for all the secondary stuff.
This is my go to for warm water, even with thigh pockets on my wetsuit.
I'm looking at these butt pouches and my backplate and finding it hard to image clipping double-enders through the little holes in the bottom of my backplate, behind me while underwater. Maybe it would be easier to leave the double ender attached to the backplate and clip/unclip it to the bag? More shockingly, I can't find any videos or anyone talking how to easily access a butt pouch.

EDIT: Oh, sidemount setups have butt plate with large, easy to clip attachment points for the tanks. I assume the pouches are made to attach to those, not the little holes on the plate. Seems like the pouches would be a pain to use without that.

A thigh sack

full.jpg

Not on a thigh

I've been happy with the Halcyon weighted bellows pocket. If I needed more storage space I'd go with the tech shorts.

I much prefer suit integrated pockets, but on the rare occasion I get to use my 2mm suit in warm water, I bring an „IST dive holster“. Works better for me tas DGX tech shorts did because I was between sizes on those and they seemed to just not fit right, seemed way more stretchy than I like (although they worked) and took up more liggage space then the holsters. Those work well enough for me because once in their size range they are very well adjustable and I do not have them sliding around.

I recently also bought the Dive Rite Bellows Thigh Pocket and am not satisfied. I dove with it attached to my BP/W belt & my leg. Simaliarly I found it is just a PITA & IMHO not safe having it attached that way…. just something else to get tangled up in.

I called DR and told them I wasn’t satisfied with it and asked for suggestions, but didn’t receive any suggestions or help.

The DR Bellows Pocket construction is really nice, but the mounting sucks. I‘m thinking of trying one more time and adding a rubber weight belt to my kit and have the thigh pocket mount to it securely. Anybody tried this or have any related thoughts?

I have only dove with the older version of the bellows pocket on my leg, the new one lives on my O2 bottle, and while it's somewhat annoying in that it does twist around a bit on your leg *which apparently is mostly remedied with the new one*, I wouldn't exactly call it dangerous.

@Doctor Rig what do you think the rubber belt mount is going to do better than your waist strap?

I have only dove with the older version of the bellows pocket on my leg, the new one lives on my O2 bottle, and while it's somewhat annoying in that it does twist around a bit on your leg *which apparently is mostly remedied with the new one*, I wouldn't exactly call it dangerous.

@Doctor Rig what do you think the rubber belt mount is going to do better than your waist strap?
Putting the BC on with the pocket attached is cumbersome. Taking the BC off can get you tangled up with dangling straps and is especially bad if you forget to unfasten a strap. If the pocket is fastened to a separate belt, then all the pocket straps and connections are of no concern when taking off the BC.

This issue of dangling straps became especially evident to me recently when I was doing some pool work where I was taking my tank off and on multiple times.

Since the thread have been resurrected, for completeness I followed @NothingClever 's advice and got the Sub Gravity accessory pocket for the right side of my harness. I like it because it has a semi-ridged backing so that it keeps it's shape regardless of how much you do or don't have it in it, which also makes it very effective at holding a long hose.

Maybe someday I'll glue something on my wetsuit instead, but so far this has worked pretty well, and way better than the DR strap on, but I like tbone's idea. Rather than throw out the DR, I'll save it for when I start tech dives as a tank pocket.

Thanks all.

Since the thread have been resurrected, for completeness I followed @NothingClever 's advice and got the Sub Gravity accessory pocket for the right side of my harness. I like it because it has a semi-ridged backing so that it keeps it's shape regardless of how much you do or don't have it in it, which also makes it very effective at holding a long hose.
I'm not familiar with the SubGravity pocket, but I put a cut-to-size sheet of semi-rigid plastic in the DiveRite pocket, and with that modification it behaves just fine in holding the long hose.

Putting the BC on with the pocket attached is cumbersome. Taking the BC off can get you tangled up with dangling straps and is especially bad if you forget to unfasten a strap. If the pocket is fastened to a separate belt, then all the pocket straps and connections are of no concern when taking off the BC.

This issue of dangling straps became especially evident to me recently when I was doing some pool work where I was taking my tank off and on multiple times.

I would argue that that is a fairly unrealistic activity in terms of real world applications. It certainly does make donning/doffing annoying, but that's why the top bit has the buckle. What I did when doffing is unclip the pocket from the rig and leave it on my leg but the ability to don/doff the rig in the water multiple times is not something I really think about with most gear configurations because it has fairly limited real world application. If I was kayak/rhib diving where I was putting it on in the water and taking it off then sure, but unless you're doing that I don't think it holds a lot of real world application.
If you wear a weight belt anyway then I think it makes sense to put it on there, but I'm not sure I would put a belt on just for that pocket and would rather wear pocket shorts or glue pockets onto the wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom