Is a Pony Bottle too complicated for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new diver can handle a pony. I know, as I did it.

It aint rocket science.

I don't disagree per se, but my thinking is that we should look at each incremental item of gear and ask how far adding it would tip the scales toward too much complexity in total. So a new diver adds a pony and then wants to add something like a drysuit, a camera, a spear, or whatever. A pony, by itself, may not be too much for some newer divers. (It probably would have been for me, but I totally lack natural talent for this stuff.) If the potential problem or other reason that a new item of gear is being considered could be mitigated by some alternative to adding that item, then using the alternative might free up the diver's bandwidth to add yet some other item of gear that is going to see more use. So, for example, if you're set on using a camera, maybe the scales would balance better by omitting the pony that's intended to address an extremely rare event, and instead make sure you're diving with a proper buddy. Less gear means more diver bandwidth (both brain and physical space) for other things. If you have no choice but to team with an insta-buddy, and are choosing to use a pony for that reason, then maybe be judicious about adding other things.

I don't disagree per se, but my thinking is that we should look at each incremental item of gear and ask how far adding it would tip the scales toward too much complexity in total. So a new diver adds a pony and then wants to add something like a drysuit, a camera, a spear, or whatever. A pony, by itself, may not be too much for some newer divers. (It probably would have been for me, but I totally lack natural talent for this stuff.) If the potential problem or other reason that a new item of gear is being considered could be mitigated by some alternative to adding that item, then using the alternative might free up the diver's bandwidth to add yet some other item of gear that is going to see more use. So, for example, if you're set on using a camera, maybe the scales would balance better by omitting the pony that's intended to address an extremely rare event, and instead make sure you're diving with a proper buddy. Less gear means more diver bandwidth (both brain and physical space) for other things. If you have no choice but to team with an insta-buddy, and are choosing to use a pony for that reason, then maybe be judicious about adding other things.

Not only was I a new diver, slinging a pony; I was also a new diver, in a drysuit. I still, however, have not brought out my camera yet.

Not only was I a new diver, slinging a pony; I was also a new diver, in a drysuit. I still, however, have not brought out my camera yet.

And you're still alive. So that's one data point.

Good choice for cold water. Even for somebody just learning.

I
I guess some agency could develop a “Pony Bottle Diver” card, charge them $300 for a pool dive to go though the basic skills with a DM and their Extra Large Spare Air.

I see your point and agree that some new Divers should never have been issued a card, but I tend to give most instructors, even the resort instructors, the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to think all the students I have helped could adapt to a 13cf pony bottle without much trouble.

Jay

A " Pony Bottle Diver" course does exist. Two agencies have it: PADI Self Reliant and SDI Solo.
I am SDI Solo now, a yr ago, I was a brand new OW diver, slnging a 13cu pony.

If you need a redundant gas source for your planned dives, why not learn to dive back mounted doubles? However, single tank dives can be planned with a minimum gas requirement to get you and your buddy to the surface safely in the event of an emergency. As always, plan your dive and dive your plan. Cheers.

If you need a redundant gas source for your planned dives, why not learn to dive back mounted doubles? However, single tank dives can be planned with a minimum gas requirement to get you and your buddy to the surface safely in the event of an emergency. As always, plan your dive and dive your plan. Cheers.

Or sidemount.

Buddy separation occurs. There was an incident written up and shared on FB where some highly trained divers (GUE T1+ if I'm not mistaken) got separated and had some other issues (not gas loss). If people that well trained can get separated, what hopes do the rest of us have? Hence single tank limits the conditions in which one can dive. And yes, I'm not as good of a diver than someone with GUE T1 certification. That should be obvious.

And here we go again. I’m guessing someone on my ignore list is pushing doubles. :facepalm:

If someone doesn’t want to dive doubles or SM, if they’re slinging a pony, at least it’s good they’re aware of the need for some redundancy. I think a 19 is useless and a 40 is better, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom